[comp.sys.mips] Graphics packages

ins_arf@jhunix.hcf.jhu.edu (Ruqiang Feng) (10/30/90)

We would like to install a public domain (or inexpensive) graphics
package on our MIPS workstation. We have RISCwindows 3.1 (the MIPS
implementation of X11).
Any information of your experience with  such packages would be appreciated.
 Specifically the package(s) should be able to

1) plot multiple x-y plots with different line types, labelling,
log-log (similar to what grtool offers under sunview)

2) make contour plots and streamlines

3) if possible have hidden line removal, and be able to plot meshes
etc. from given data.

4) Drive an HP-laser jet II printer.

5) Color would be nice too!

People here have recommended a package from NCAR (I do not think it is
in PD), and a PD package called view. Both of these, I understand, run
under X11.

Please post information, or mail it to me and I will summarize on the
net.

Thanking you in anticipation,

Ramani Duraiswami
(posting from a friend's account).
Preferred addres for e-mail:
ramani@polaris.me.jhu.edu

thomson@cs.utah.edu (Rich Thomson) (10/31/90)

In article <6736@jhunix.HCF.JHU.EDU> ins_arf@jhunix.hcf.jhu.edu
    (Ruqiang Feng) writes:
>We would like to install a public domain (or inexpensive) graphics
>package on our MIPS workstation. We have RISCwindows 3.1 (the MIPS
>implementation of X11).
>Any information of your experience with  such packages would be appreciated.
> Specifically the package(s) should be able to
>
>1) plot multiple x-y plots with different line types, labelling,
>log-log (similar to what grtool offers under sunview)

UN*X (and presumably RISC/os) comes with a little set of programs:
plot and graph that can be used to make simple plots and show them
within an xterm window in Tektronix emulation mode.

							-- Rich
Rich Thomson	thomson@cs.utah.edu  {bellcore,hplabs,uunet}!utah-cs!thomson
``If everybody is thinking the same thing, is anybody thinking?'' --Bob Johnson