[comp.sys.mips] gated configuration problem

pbickers@groucho (11/14/90)

On a Magnum 3000 under RISCos/4.51 I'm having a small networking problem.

The system was shipped with routed installed but it only works to a certain
extent. We're part of NorthWestNet (part of Internet) and my routing tables
let me get (apparently) anywhere in the Northwest but they do not let me
access prep.ai.mit.edu for example (network unreachable).

There is a simple solution. My local subnet has only one gateway. If I add
this to the routing tables as a default then everything goes out and other
gateways in NorthWestNet handle the connections to other networks.

I have tried running gated. I have version 1.9.1.3 (shipped with the OS). A
simple configuration is easy to set up, even for me! But, same problem.

Now, according to the man page gated can be configured via the conf file to
have a defaultgateway added statically to the tables. Sounds simple, just
add a line
defaultgateway ...
to gated.conf and off we go.

But if I follow the man page for this I get an initialization error on booting.
Some rt_dumb message and gated doesn't work at all. Does this mean route_dumb
or root_dumb? :-)

Actually the man page instructions look wrong. I would have expected to have to
add a metric and proto looks as though it should be proto type. However several
variants have all led to the same error.

So my questions are:

1) How am I supposed to configure a default gateway or is gated bust?

2) If I opt for static routing, which seems best for my situation anyway (what
are the pros and cons, given possible local changes?) where should I add the
/etc/route add ... lines? The usual place is /etc/rc.local but what is best
on a mips, some rc file, /etc/init.d/netdaemons, /etc/init.d/tcp or someplace
else?

Thanks.
--
Paul Bickerstaff                 Internet: pbickers@neon.chem.uidaho.edu
Physics Dept., Univ. of Idaho    Phone:    (208) 885 6809

lgy@phys.washington.edu (Laurence G. Yaffe) (11/14/90)

pbickers@groucho writes:

>On a Magnum 3000 under RISCos/4.51 I'm having a small networking problem.

	[Describes problems configuring routed and/or gated.]

>There is a simple solution. My local subnet has only one gateway.

>Thanks.
>--
>Paul Bickerstaff                 Internet: pbickers@neon.chem.uidaho.edu
>Physics Dept., Univ. of Idaho    Phone:    (208) 885 6809
>Moscow ID 83843, USA             FAX:      (208) 885 6173

    Since you only need a static route to a default gateway, you might
as well not run either routed or gated.  Instead just call 'route'
to add the default gateway.  I do this, and place the following lines
at the very end of the netdaemons_start() routine in /etc/init.d/netdaemons:

	#   Add routing commands here
	#   Example: "route add destination gateway 1"
	#
	route add 0.0.0.0 oreck 1

("oreck" is the name of my gateway, with its IP address defined in /etc/hosts.)
Placing the "route" command as the last thing in the netdaemons script
is cosmetic - it prevents the output line produced by route from interrupting
the list of deamons which gets echoed to the console when booting.

Laurence G. Yaffe		Internet: lgy@newton.phys.washington.edu
University of Washington	Bitnet:   yaffe@uwaphast.bitnet