[comp.sys.mips] Cannot NFS mount Ultrix and hp-ux file systems

johnr@extro.ucc.su.oz.au (John Rosauer) (11/15/90)

We are running Riscos 4.51.  When you attempt to mount
a a file system through NFS on the Mips machine to either
Ultrix or HP-UX we get the folloing:

mount: info:/usr server not responding: RPC: Authentication error; why = Invalid client credential
mount: giving up on:
   /mnt

The Mips can mount Sunos file systems and Sunos can mount Ultrix and
HP-UX file systems.  It looks like it might have something to do with
secure NFS, but the file system is exported normally.

Does anyone know what is the source of the icompatibility?

Thanks, in advance.
--
John Andrew Rosauer                         |   johnr@extro.ucc.su.oz.au
University Computing Service, H08           |   Phone:     +61 2 6923497

rogerk@mips.COM (Roger B.A. Klorese) (11/16/90)

In article <1990Nov15.064248.5056@metro.ucc.su.OZ.AU> johnr@extro.ucc.su.oz.au (John Rosauer) writes:
>We are running Riscos 4.51.  When you attempt to mount
>a a file system through NFS on the Mips machine to either
>Ultrix or HP-UX we get the folloing:
>
>mount: info:/usr server not responding: RPC: Authentication error; why = Invalid client credential
>mount: giving up on:
>   /mnt
>
>The Mips can mount Sunos file systems and Sunos can mount Ultrix and
>HP-UX file systems.  It looks like it might have something to do with
>secure NFS, but the file system is exported normally.
>
>Does anyone know what is the source of the icompatibility?

Earlier NFS implementations (HP-UX, Ultrix, RISC/os < 4.50) made their
initial mount requests on non-privileged ports.  To support this ability,
change the lines for rpc.mountd in /etc/inetd.conf from:

rpc	100005	1
	dgram	udp	wait	root	/usr/etc/rpc.mountd	mountd

rpc	100005	1
	dgram	udp	wait	root	/usr/etc/rpc.mountd	mountd -n
--
ROGER B.A. KLORESE                                  MIPS Computer Systems, Inc.
MS 6-05    930 DeGuigne Dr.   Sunnyvale, CA  94086              +1 408 524-7421

dennis@gpu.utcs.utoronto.ca (Dennis Ferguson) (11/16/90)

In article <43264@mips.mips.COM> rogerk@mips.COM (Roger B.A. Klorese) writes:
>In article <1990Nov15.064248.5056@metro.ucc.su.OZ.AU> johnr@extro.ucc.su.oz.au (John Rosauer) writes:
>>We are running Riscos 4.51.  When you attempt to mount
>>a a file system through NFS on the Mips machine to either
>>Ultrix or HP-UX we get the folloing:
>>
>>mount: info:/usr server not responding: RPC: Authentication error; why = Invalid client credential
>>mount: giving up on:
>>   /mnt

>Earlier NFS implementations (HP-UX, Ultrix, RISC/os < 4.50) made their
>initial mount requests on non-privileged ports.  To support this ability,
>change the lines for rpc.mountd in /etc/inetd.conf from:
[...]

If the above still doesn't help, try reducing the number of groups
which root is a member of to 7 or 8.  Old RPC versions, which limited
the number of groups one was allowed to be a member of to 8, sometimes
get confused by newer RPC versions, which increased this to 16 or so.

Dennis Ferguson
University of Toronto

k2@charly.bl.physik.tu-muenchen.de (Klaus Steinberger) (11/19/90)

rogerk@mips.COM (Roger B.A. Klorese) writes:

>In article <1990Nov15.064248.5056@metro.ucc.su.OZ.AU> johnr@extro.ucc.su.oz.au (John Rosauer) writes:
>>We are running Riscos 4.51.  When you attempt to mount
>>a a file system through NFS on the Mips machine to either
>>Ultrix or HP-UX we get the folloing:
>>
>>mount: info:/usr server not responding: RPC: Authentication error; why = Invalid client credential
>>mount: giving up on:
>>   /mnt
>>
>>The Mips can mount Sunos file systems and Sunos can mount Ultrix and
>>HP-UX file systems.  It looks like it might have something to do with
>>secure NFS, but the file system is exported normally.
>>
>>Does anyone know what is the source of the icompatibility?

>Earlier NFS implementations (HP-UX, Ultrix, RISC/os < 4.50) made their
>initial mount requests on non-privileged ports.  To support this ability,
>change the lines for rpc.mountd in /etc/inetd.conf from:

>rpc	100005	1
>	dgram	udp	wait	root	/usr/etc/rpc.mountd	mountd

>rpc	100005	1
>	dgram	udp	wait	root	/usr/etc/rpc.mountd	mountd -n

We have the same problem with EP/IX 1.2.3 (based on RISC/os 4.51) in
conjunction with PCS/Cadmus Workstations. They use a NFS implemention
from LAI. We can mount file-systems exported from the MIPS on the
Cadmus, but run into troubles with filesystems exported from the
Cadmus. The filesystem can be mounted by the initial startup, and
most times it can be used by our users, but sometimes not.
Especially root isn't able (most times, but not always!) to read or
write on this filesystem. (it's exported with rootid=0!) .
In the case of the failures we got the same error-message as
John Rosauer!

The Cadmus doesn't know anything about secure NFS! We don't see
the problem with filesystems exported from SUNOS 4.x .

mountd -n will not help, because the Cadmus don't know about this
and doesn't check that!

Any suggestions?

Klaus Steinberger

Klaus Steinberger               Beschleunigerlabor der TU und LMU Muenchen
Phone: (+49 89)3209 4287        Hochschulgelaende, D-8046 Garching, West Germany
BITNET:  K2@DGABLG5P            Internet: k2@charly.bl.physik.tu-muenchen.de