[comp.sys.mips] Fujitsu M2392K/D

peter@ria.ccs.uwo.ca (Peter Marshall) (11/24/90)

We recently purchased a CDC4680.  It will be supplied with a 1GB disk.  We need
to have probably another 1 or 2 GB and are looking for ways to provide it.  We
recently have an offer to sell us Fujitsu  M2392K/D (2GB) for about $CDN8500.
This is less than half the price of CDC disks either on an attached Disk Array
System (on a Cyber 2000) or internally to the 4680.

Does any one have any experience with this combination?  (Subsititutions for the
equivalent Mips machine to the 4680 are ok!)

--
Peter Marshall, Manager (Academic Networking)
CCS, NSC, U. of Western Ontario, London, Canada N6A 5B7 (519)661-2111x6032

jeff@u02.svl.cdc.com (Jeff Needham) (11/27/90)

peter@ria.ccs.uwo.ca (Peter Marshall) writes:

>We recently purchased a CDC4680.  It will be supplied with a 1GB disk.  We need
>to have probably another 1 or 2 GB and are looking for ways to provide it.  We
>recently have an offer to sell us Fujitsu  M2392K/D (2GB) for about $CDN8500.
>This is less than half the price of CDC disks either on an attached Disk Array
>System (on a Cyber 2000) or internally to the 4680.
>--
>Peter Marshall, Manager (Academic Networking)
>CCS, NSC, U. of Western Ontario, London, Canada N6A 5B7 (519)661-2111x6032
>peter.marshall@uwo.ca pm@uwovax (BITNET); peter@ria.uucp

Although not directly related to your question, we use
SCSI drives in Oracle performance analysis, because,
frankly, we can afford to buy more of them.

Control Data plans to (or does) support Wren VI and Wren
VII drives using EPIX.  I plan to do 6280/4680
performance work with Wrens.  In fact Wren VI half
heights are the cheapest ($US dolllars/MByte).  They are
only 600 MByte or so and you will have to buy a SCSI
controller.  You get more spindles for the money.

You might be surprised by SCSI performance, and less poor!

We figure our customers will just wan't to buy the cheapest
and fastest drives they can get, so do we.

later,jeff

Jeff Needham
Oracle Performance Group
CDC - Santa Clara