[comp.sys.mips] prototypes in the C compiler

tom@bears.ucsb.edu (Tom Weinstein) (11/08/90)

I'm going to be writing some code that has to be fairly portable to a
Mips box.  The problem I have is that the person who has the Mips seems
to think that their C compiler doesn't support ANSI prototypes.  This
seems a little strange to me.  So, is he wrong?  Does he just have an
old OS version?  Are there some compiler flags that have to be set?

Thanks.

--
He is Bob...eager for fun.         | Tom Weinstein  tom@bears.ucsb.edu
He wears a smile... Everybody run! |                tweinst@polyslo.calpoly.edu

paul@u02.svl.cdc.com (Paul Kohlmiller) (11/09/90)

tom@bears.ucsb.edu (Tom Weinstein) writes:

>I'm going to be writing some code that has to be fairly portable to a
>Mips box.  The problem I have is that the person who has the Mips seems
>to think that their C compiler doesn't support ANSI prototypes.  This
>seems a little strange to me.  So, is he wrong?  Does he just have an
>old OS version?  Are there some compiler flags that have to be set?

The MIPS C compiler does support ANSI prototypes although it is not yet an ANSI
C compiler. Previous to version 2.10 of the C compiler, the prototypes were
allowed but there was not much checking going on. With 2.10 and later compilers,the prototypes are being checked. There is a compiler flag (-std) but it does
not appear to have anything to do with prototypes.
Paul Kohlmiller

--
     // Paul H. Kohlmiller           //  "Cybers, Macs and Mips"         //
     // Control Data Corporation     // Internet: paul@u02.svl.cdc.com   //

sah@gumby (Steve Hanson) (11/09/90)

In article <7031@hub.ucsb.edu>, tom@bears (Tom Weinstein) writes:
>I'm going to be writing some code that has to be fairly portable to a
>Mips box.  The problem I have is that the person who has the Mips seems
>to think that their C compiler doesn't support ANSI prototypes.  This
>seems a little strange to me.  So, is he wrong?  Does he just have an
>old OS version?  Are there some compiler flags that have to be set?
>
>Thanks.
>

>--
>He is Bob...eager for fun.         | Tom Weinstein  tom@bears.ucsb.edu
>He wears a smile... Everybody run! |                tweinst@polyslo.calpoly.edu

There has been 23 bugs(including bugs rejected, cosmetic or not enough
info supplied) reported against prototypes since July '86. Of the 23
bugs reported 3 remain open. The implementation was based on
the May '86 draft standard and was therefore incomplete in
terms of prototype checking and conversion semantics. In
addition, register storage class was omitted from the
implementation as far as prototypes were concerned. Over the
years as the standard evolved the implementation has been
updated.

The next release of the compiler, 2.20, will have a complete
implementation of prototypes.
UUCP: {ames,decwrl,prls,pyramid}!mips!sah
USPS: MIPS Computer Systems, 930 Arques Ave, Sunnyvale CA, 94086

lewine@cheshirecat.rtp.dg.com (Donald Lewine) (11/13/90)

In article <42950@mips.mips.COM>, sah@gumby (Steve Hanson) writes:
|> The next release of the compiler, 2.20, will have a complete
|> implementation of prototypes.

Will it conform to the full ANSI Standard?  This is now an approved
national standard.

Donald A. Lewine                (508) 870-9008 Voice
Data General Corporation        (508) 366-0750 FAX
4400 Computer Drive. MS D112A
Westboro, MA 01580  U.S.A.

uucp: uunet!dg!lewine   Internet: lewine@cheshirecat.webo.dg.com

sah@gumby (Steve Hanson) (11/15/90)

In article <1132@dg.dg.com>, lewine@cheshirecat (Donald Lewine) writes:
>Will it conform to the full ANSI Standard?  This is now an approved
>national standard.

>Donald A. Lewine                (508) 870-9008 Voice
>Data General Corporation        (508) 366-0750 FAX
>4400 Computer Drive. MS D112A
>Westboro, MA 01580  U.S.A.
>
>uucp: uunet!dg!lewine   Internet: lewine@cheshirecat.webo.dg.com

2.20 compliance will limited to a "freestanding implementation" which
accepts any strictly conforming program that confines its use of library
features to the contents of the standard headers float.h, limits.h,
stdarg.h, and stddef.h. This is to say that for 2.20 libraries and header
files will not be ANSI'fied, however the following 3.0 release that will
be combined with RISC/os 5.0 will provide a "hosted implementation" containing
ANSI'fied libraries and headers. We do plan on going through formal validation
with the US NIST ANSI C suite when its available. The test suite is currently
scheduled to be out of the review stage January 7.

meissner@osf.org (Michael Meissner) (11/30/90)

In article <7031@hub.ucsb.edu> tom@bears.ucsb.edu (Tom Weinstein)
writes:

| I'm going to be writing some code that has to be fairly portable to a
| Mips box.  The problem I have is that the person who has the Mips seems
| to think that their C compiler doesn't support ANSI prototypes.  This
| seems a little strange to me.  So, is he wrong?  Does he just have an
| old OS version?  Are there some compiler flags that have to be set?

Or you can use the GNU C compiler which I have added MIPS support.  Of
course you have to live with the vendor libraries and header files for
now (in the case of Ultrix this is a lose).

Send me mail if you want more information about GNU C.  I have a few
minor things to clean up currently.
--
Michael Meissner	email: meissner@osf.org		phone: 617-621-8861

Considering the flames and intolerance, shouldn't USENET be spelled ABUSENET?