[comp.sys.mips] X11.R4

pbickers@groucho (12/07/90)

I'd like to hear from anybody who has ported this to a Mips box. Was it trivial/easy/hard? Any peculiar problems merging it with what Mips have done with the
R3 directory structure and configuration files?

When can we expect a release of RISCwindows based on the R4 release.

I'm running R4 on some NCD16s and the mips supplied xdm is just one of several
reasons that I'd like to upgrade everything to R4.

--
Paul Bickerstaff                 Internet: pbickers@tamaluit.phys.uidaho.edu
Physics Dept., Univ. of Idaho    Phone:    (208) 885 6809

lgy@phys.washington.edu (Laurence G. Yaffe) (12/09/90)

pbickers@groucho writes:

>I'd like to hear from anybody who has ported this to a Mips box. Was it
>trivial/easy/hard? Any peculiar problems merging it with what Mips have
>done with the R3 directory structure and configuration files?

>When can we expect a release of RISCwindows based on the R4 release.

>I'm running R4 on some NCD16s and the mips supplied xdm is just one of several
>reasons that I'd like to upgrade everything to R4.

    Hear, hear.

    Does someone have the R4 version of xdm running under RISC/os (and would
be willing to make the binary available)?  While I can wait for most of R4,
I'd really like to get a version of xdm that talks to my X-terminals better.

    On a related note, the latest MIPS distributed version of xdm (3.21)
has the nasty habit of entirely giving up on a display for which its initial
attempt to XOpenDisplay fails (contrary to the behavior implied by the
man pages).  This is an issue every time someone turns off an X-terminal
(or for people sometimes running X-servers on PCs, everytime they temporarily
switch back to DOSland).  After running some tests with xdm's debug level turned
up, it appears that the problem relates to the message "Display exited with
UNMANAGE_DISPLAY" which appears after xdm's first attempt to open the display
times out.  (In contrast, when an xdm session terminates normally, with
debugging on, one sees a message "Display exited with REMANAGE_DISPLAY".)
This seems to be new behavior (over the 3.11 version of xdm).  Previously,
running a fake local "server" like Xfake or xping was sufficient to cope
with almost all instances an X-terminal only sporadically coming "live".

    Has anyone else seen this problem?  Or found a better way to cope with it?
As I understand it, the R4 xdm should fix these problems when dealing with
NCD X-terminals (or other servers which broadcast XDMCP messages), but for
dealing with various lousy PC X-servers, is there any way to tell the R4 xdm
"never give up on this display even though it can't properly talk XDMCP"?

Laurence G. Yaffe		Internet: lgy@newton.phys.washington.edu
University of Washington	Bitnet:   yaffe@uwaphast.bitnet

rogerk@MIPS.com (pri=-19-Roger B.A. Klorese) (12/11/90)

In article <1990Dec06.193150.10328@groucho> pbickers@tamaluit.phys.uidaho.edu (Paul Bickerstaff) writes:
>When can we expect a release of RISCwindows based on the R4 release.

RISCwindows 4.0 (based on X11R4 and OSF/Motif 1.1) enters beta testing today,
and should enter First Customer Ship status in January.  Customer update
shipments should begin during February.
--
ROGER B.A. KLORESE                                  MIPS Computer Systems, Inc.
MS 6-05    930 DeGuigne Dr.   Sunnyvale, CA  94086              +1 408 524-7421

bruceb@cascade.UUCP (Bruce Borden) (12/12/90)

We installed mips X11.R4 Beta last week.  Good performance and no
problems encountered.

/Bruce Borden

rogerk@MIPS.com (Roger B.A. Klorese) (12/13/90)

In article <180@cascade.UUCP> bruceb@cascade.UUCP (Bruce Borden) writes:
>We installed mips X11.R4 Beta last week.

...by which he means RISCwindows 4.0 Beta.

--

karl@naitc.naitc.com (Karl Denninger) (12/13/90)

In article <1990Dec06.193150.10328@groucho> pbickers@tamaluit.phys.uidaho.edu (Paul Bickerstaff) writes:
>I'd like to hear from anybody who has ported this to a Mips box. Was it trivial/easy/hard? Any peculiar problems merging it with what Mips have done with the
>R3 directory structure and configuration files?
>
>When can we expect a release of RISCwindows based on the R4 release.
>
>I'm running R4 on some NCD16s and the mips supplied xdm is just one of several
>reasons that I'd like to upgrade everything to R4.

We have been told that we can get a beta of X11R4 for the MIPS machines;
contact MIPS and see if they'll cut one loose to you as well.,

--
Karl Denninger	AC Nielsen
kdenning@ksun.naitc.com