[comp.sys.mips] how do I get a RC3240 to automatically reboot?

davison@menudo.uh.edu (Dan Davison) (11/30/90)

My RC3240 has become exquisitely sensitive to power glitches, or there
has been a drastic increase in power glitches in one room, and I now
need to have the machine reboot itself.  A while ago I searched the
manuals but did not find out how to set the machine to reboot itself
after a power glitch or other failure.  Is there one, and if so, what
is it (and where in TM is it)?

Thanks in advance,

dan
davison@uh.edu
Houston/4800 Calhoun/Houston,TX 77054-5500/davison@uh.edu/DAVISON@UHOU
myself.

lgy@phys.washington.edu (Laurence G. Yaffe) (11/30/90)

davison@menudo.uh.edu (Dan Davison) writes:

>My RC3240 has become exquisitely sensitive to power glitches, or there
>has been a drastic increase in power glitches in one room, and I now
>need to have the machine reboot itself.

    Setting the PROM monitor "bootmode" variable equal to "c" is supposed
to do this.  (But even having done this, I've seen an M/2000 fail to
autoboot cleanly after a power glitch.)  You should be able to set the
bootmode variable using "/etc/hwconf -s bootmode c" in a running system
(although I've seen this fail to do anything in a 2030), or do it with
"setenv bootmode c" next time you have the machine down at the PROM monitor.
Laurence G. Yaffe		Internet: lgy@newton.phys.washington.edu
University of Washington	Bitnet:   yaffe@uwaphast.bitnet

davison@menudo.uh.edu (Dan Davison) (12/01/90)

In article <lgy.659939524@newton> lgy@phys.washington.edu (Laurence G.
Yaffe) writes:

       Setting the PROM monitor "bootmode" variable equal to "c" is supposed
   to do this.  (But even having done this, I've seen an M/2000 fail to
   autoboot cleanly after a power glitch.)  You should be able to set the
   bootmode variable using "/etc/hwconf -s bootmode c" in a running system
   (although I've seen this fail to do anything in a 2030), or do it with
   "setenv bootmode c" next time you have the machine down at the PROM monitor.

Thanks.  I recall doing this when I first got the machine about a year
ago but it didn't work then.  I will try it again as given above.
There was something else that broke with the "c" option, but I don't
remember what it is...I'll find out the hard way.

dan

stacy@sobeco.com (s.millions) (12/16/90)

lgy@phys.washington.edu (Laurence G. Yaffe) writes:

>davison@menudo.uh.edu (Dan Davison) writes:

>>My RC3240 has become exquisitely sensitive to power glitches, or there
>>has been a drastic increase in power glitches in one room, and I now
>>need to have the machine reboot itself.

>    Setting the PROM monitor "bootmode" variable equal to "c" is supposed
>to do this.  (But even having done this, I've seen an M/2000 fail to
>autoboot cleanly after a power glitch.)

I set bootmode to c on our 3240. It did try to reboot, but just after
messages. Setting bootmode to w (warm vs. cold) fixed the problem. The
machine still reboots after a crash or power outage.

-stacy

--
Brian Mulroney is at 15% in the polls and                 uunet!sobeco!stacy
17% of Canadians believe Elvis is alive                     stacy@sobeco.com