[comp.sys.mips] Need Specialix Drivers for RC32[34]0 -- Urgent Please

mason@oct1.UUCP (David Mason) (12/12/90)

In front of me I have a [CDC] RC3230, a Specialix AT bus host adaptor
and 32 Specialix ports, but no driver for the Specialix!!  For some reason,
our shipment has been totally FOOBAR'ed (I'm on the east side of the
Atlantic), and the soonest I can get a driver is about 4 weeks.  But I
must install, with the ports, and hence I am in urgent need of a set of
drivers to make the ports go.

Similarly, I have a [CDC] 3240 already installed which is in desperate
need of ports, but I have no driver for that either.

Is there anybody who can help me?  I am unsure whether the drivers
are the same for the 30 and 40, but I need for both.  I am willing to
comm them off anybody's machine via dialup at 2400, 9600 or PEP.
PEP preferred!  Sorry, no FTP access.

I will be extremely grateful to anybody who can help me out of my
rather serious predicament.

For mail replies, "mason@oct1.uucp" may fail.  Please check my .sig.
Thanks.
--------------------
David Mason                       | "Strange the mind,
mason@oct1.UUCP                   |    that very fiery particle,
"olsa99!oct1!mason"@ddsw1.MCS.COM |  Should let itself be snuffed out
...!ddsw1!olsa99!oct1!mason       |     by an article."       Byron

jpp@specialix.co.uk (John Pettitt) (12/14/90)

mason@oct1.UUCP (David Mason) writes:
>In front of me I have a [CDC] RC3230, a Specialix AT bus host adaptor
>and 32 Specialix ports, but no driver for the Specialix!!  For some reason,
>our shipment has been totally FOOBAR'ed (I'm on the east side of the
>Atlantic), and the soonest I can get a driver is about 4 weeks.  But I
>must install, with the ports, and hence I am in urgent need of a set of
>drivers to make the ports go.

>Similarly, I have a [CDC] 3240 already installed which is in desperate
>need of ports, but I have no driver for that either.

>I will be extremely grateful to anybody who can help me out of my
>rather serious predicament.

As you don't appear to be in the usenet maps and you don't give a
phone number I am posting this reply.   Sorry to the rest of the
world.

You should be able to get a driver from your local MIPS office
or from support@specialix.co.uk.    The 3230 driver is not the
same as the 3240 (same source tree but a compile time switch
because the AT bus is a bit radical in the 3230).

Specialix Support can be contacted on:

+44 932 354254 or
+1 408 354 4498

--
John Pettitt, Specialix International,
Email: jpp@specialix.com Tel +44 (0) 9323 54254 Fax +44 (0) 9323 52781

pnessutt@dmshq.mn.org (Bob Monio) (12/18/90)

In article <1990Dec14.122405.4744@specialix.co.uk> jpp@specialix.co.uk (John Pettitt) writes:
>mason@oct1.UUCP (David Mason) writes:
>>In front of me I have a [CDC] RC3230, a Specialix AT bus host adaptor
>>and 32 Specialix ports, but no driver for the Specialix!!  For some reason,
>>our shipment has been totally FOOBAR'ed (I'm on the east side of the
>>Atlantic), and the soonest I can get a driver is about 4 weeks.  But I
>>must install, with the ports, and hence I am in urgent need of a set of
>>drivers to make the ports go.
>

>You should be able to get a driver from your local MIPS office
>or from support@specialix.co.uk.    The 3230 driver is not the
>same as the 3240 (same source tree but a compile time switch
>because the AT bus is a bit radical in the 3230).

This isn't necessarily oriented towards getting a copy of the driver,
but rather my query is directed towards getting some type of update on
the status of the Specialix driver and the current problems being
reported with it under RISCos 4.51.

Several clients that I have been working with lately have been
complaining of hanging terminals, terminals dropping baud rates
unexpectantly, problems with serial printers attached to specialix
ports dropping the tail end of output, etc.  Customer support has been
notified of the problem (several times), but no real progress seems to
be occuring.  It's ironic, but MIPS had just seemed to have gotten the
driver fairly stable before 4.51 rolled around.

What's the status guys?  These same clients have also informed me that
the support they are receiving has been rather poor and it has taken
many calls to get even a reasonable workaround and/or answer.  Could
someone please send me some email updating me on the current status of the
driver so that I may pass it along to them?

Thanks for you help.

 -Bob

steveh@moosehead.mips.com (Stephen C. Hill) (12/20/90)

mason@oct1.UUCP (David Mason) writes:

> In front of me I have a [CDC] RC3230, a Specialix AT bus host adaptor
> and 32 Specialix ports, but no driver for the Specialix!!
> .
> .
> .
> Is there anybody who can help me?  I am unsure whether the drivers
> are the same for the 30 and 40, but I need for both.

We have been shipping the Specialix drivers for the RC3230 for the last
fortnight.  Send me an email with your name of the people that you
bought the system from, and I will make certain that they have been sent
the new driver.

Steve

--
Stephen C. Hill, CDP
{ames,prls,pyramid,decwrl}!mips!steveh  or  steveh@mips.com

Time is Nature's method of keeping us from bumping into ourselves.