[comp.sys.mips] TCP/IP on RC6280

stacy@sobeco.com (s.millions) (01/09/91)

Can some one explain to me why mips runs some of thier machines
with trailers off (Rx3230 m120 rx2030 and some m2000's) and some
with trailers on (RC62* and the rest of the m2000's).

I expect it is a performance issue, but am wonder how big the
difference will be. I am having to turn off trailers on our
RC6280 so that it can talk to our DEC 20's.

-stacy

--
"Sorry I had to plug you mister duck, but I'm a sportsman."    stacy@sobeco.com
    - Almyer Fudd                                            uunet!sobeco!stacy

wje@redwood.mips.com (William J. Earl) (01/11/91)

In article <1991Jan9.144544.22626@sobeco.com>, stacy@sobeco (s.millions) writes:
> Can some one explain to me why mips runs some of thier machines
> with trailers off (Rx3230 m120 rx2030 and some m2000's) and some
> with trailers on (RC62* and the rest of the m2000's).
>
> I expect it is a performance issue, but am wonder how big the
> difference will be. I am having to turn off trailers on our
> RC6280 so that it can talk to our DEC 20's.

     RISC/os turns off trailers by default on some systems (generally
those with an integrated Ethernet interface), because hardware
considerations make trailers less efficient.  On other interfaces
(generally the VME-based interfaces), there is little or no difference
in performance, so we allow trailers, in case some other host runs
better with trailers.  That is, RISC/os always accepts trailers on
input, but advertises trailers only when there is no performance
penalty.  There is, in any case, no performance penalty to disabling
trailers between RISC/os systems, so you can freely turn them off on
your RC6280.

--
	William J. Earl			wje@mips.com
	MIPS Computer Systems		408-524-8172

datri@convex.com (Anthony A. Datri) (01/11/91)

I've seen machines running with trailers on screw up other machines on
the net.  I recommend always turning them off.

336996351123355369963511235117*47*8*47*8*7471

bin@primate.wisc.edu (Brain in Neutral) (01/11/91)

From article <1991Jan10.203530.7133@convex.com>, by datri@convex.com (Anthony A. Datri):
> I've seen machines running with trailers on screw up other machines on
> the net.  I recommend always turning them off.

Exactly.  Mips should turn them OFF on every machine it ships.
--
Paul DuBois
dubois@primate.wisc.edu

erik@srava.sra.co.jp (Erik M. van der Poel) (01/12/91)

> I am having to turn off trailers on our
> RC6280 so that it can talk to our DEC 20's.

Do you have to turn off trailers on your RC6280 so that it *can* talk
to your DEC 20's, or so that it talks *faster* to them?
-
--
Erik M. van der Poel                                      erik@sra.co.jp
Software Research Associates, Inc., Tokyo, Japan     TEL +81-3-3234-2692

stacy@sobeco.com (s.millions) (01/14/91)

In <4922@srava.sra.co.jp> erik@srava.sra.co.jp (Erik M. van der Poel) writes:

>> I am having to turn off trailers on our
>> RC6280 so that it can talk to our DEC 20's.
>Do you have to turn off trailers on your RC6280 so that it *can* talk
>to your DEC 20's, or so that it talks *faster* to them?

It was done in an attempt to get them to talk, just talk. As it turns
out the trouble had nothing to do trailers. The MIPS device driver for
the eagle ethernet controller tries to do block mode transfers when
ever possible. If mbuf length is not a multiple of 32 bits, they will
ship out 1-3 bytes of random garbage at the end of the packet. The
dec 20s take the length of the ethernet packet - length of headers
and calculates its checksum on that, including the random chars
at the end which are not part of the data. As a result the dec 20
throughs out the packet. This was a nuisance to track down. As
luck would have it my login name and password made mbufs that
were multiples of 32 bits in length as were the files I transfered
as a test, so it would work for me, but not for others.

I have fixed this by brain damaging the device driver to not use block
mode on out bound packets. Will try a more elegant fix when time allows.

-stacy

--

rogerk@mips.COM (Roger B.A. Klorese) (01/14/91)

In article <1991Jan13.214030.27744@sobeco.com> stacy@sobeco.com (s.millions) writes:
>I have fixed this by brain damaging the device driver to not use block
>mode on out bound packets. Will try a more elegant fix when time allows.

RISC/os 4.52 includes a more elegant fix.  For RC62x0 systems, multiples of
two will be used; the DMA system allows block mode then for all but the final
partial word, and the last junk byte is handled correctly on other systems.
For non-RC62x0 systems, going to a multiple of two will disable block mode
and will slow Ethernet transfers, so we will allow a kopt option
to control whether or not roundup is done.  If you have the
extra-bytes problem on a non-RC62x0 system, you may disable roundup,
at the cost of Ethernet speed.
--
ROGER B.A. KLORESE                                  MIPS Computer Systems, Inc.
MS 6-05    930 DeGuigne Dr.   Sunnyvale, CA  94086              +1 408 524-7421