[comp.sys.mips] Software Availability

pnessutt@dmshq.mn.org (Bob Monio) (01/25/91)

In the recent issue of the MVP report, several MIPS-developed software
packages were introduced.  These included the ANSI-compliant compiler,
Data Manager and Data Manager Plus, and the MIPS visual debugger for
X.

Since it's rare to get ANY information from the local sales offices
around here (MPLS is closed now and Chicago doesn't return calls all
too often), what must I (the Reseller) do to either obtain some of
these products, or get information on them?  Will any of them be
available as a standard part of the OS distribution or will I have to
go through the sales channels to obtain them?

(I'm posting this here because Roger and others seem to be good at
responding to questions.  Thanks, guys)

Please respond to me directly via email.  If anyone is interested,
I'll post the responses here.

Thanks!

 -Bob

--
 Robert A. Monio
 International Quality Institute, Inc.  "Rommel, you magnificent Bastard!

rogerk@MIPS.com (Roger B.A. Klorese) (01/26/91)

In article <8393@dmshq.mn.org> pnessutt@dmshq.UUCP (Bob Monio) writes:

>In the recent issue of the MVP report, several MIPS-developed software
>packages were introduced.  These included the ANSI-compliant compiler,
>Data Manager and Data Manager Plus, and the MIPS visual debugger for
>X.
>
>Will any of them be
>available as a standard part of the OS distribution or will I have to
>go through the sales channels to obtain them?

I sent Bob some information on how to get product bulletins, ordering
information, and the like.  But I'd like to address this question here.

* DATA MANAGER and DATA MANAGER PLUS:
Data Manager (striping, spanning, splitting) and Data Manager Plus (the
"plus" is mirroring) are add-on products, not included in the RISC/os
release, and requiring the very-soon-forthcoming RISC/os 4.52 release.

* ANSI C:
ANSI C is also a separately chargeable product.  Starting with the
2.20 compiler release, we support three modes of C syntax, using
a new compiler front end: MIPS-C (K&R-I plus current extensions),
standard ANSI C, and ANSI C plus common extensions.

ccom and cpp are replaced with a new module called cfe ("C front
end").  We build cfe in two modes:  only, which will be supplied
with new system orders after the 2.20 release, and will be shipped
to contract customers; and MIPS-C plus ANSI C, which will be shipped
as a separate tape to customers who order the ANSI C product.

To accomodate the rare case where we missed a compatibility issue
between the ccom-based version and the new cfe-based version of
MIPS-C mode, the new compiler driver will also support a -oldc
option, which will invoke cpp and ccom instead of cfe.  We intend
to maintain both MIPS-C and ANSI C modes, but supply fixes using
only cfe, not ccom.

* MIPS VISUAL DEBUGGER:
MVD, the Mips Visual Debugger, is included in the RISCwindows 4.0 release.
(This release also updates RISCwindows to X11R4 and OSF/Motif 1.1, as well
as adding other new clients.)  New and contract customers of RISCwindows
will receive this package.
--
ROGER B.A. KLORESE                                  MIPS Computer Systems, Inc.
MS 6-05    930 DeGuigne Dr.   Sunnyvale, CA  94086              +1 408 524-7421