[comp.sys.mips] RISCos 4.51, NIS, and nameservice for NIS clients. Any ideas?

svpillay@idunno.Princeton.EDU (Kanthan Pillay) (01/26/91)

I recently configured our MIPS RC3240 running RISCos 4.51 as a slave NIS
server. The master is a Sun 3/280 running SunOS 4.1.1. We have an
assortment of yp clients including Suns and Irises. Both the MIPS and
the Sun server are running named, and nslookup on both machines works
correctly.

The problem: whenever any yp client binds to the MIPS box, then
nameservice stops working on the clients. If the client binds to the
Sun, everything works as advertised. As follows:

For the MIPS client:
	livia# ypmatch uunet.uu.net hosts
	Can't match key uunet.uu.net in map hosts.byname.  Reason: no such key
	in map.

For the Sun client:
	clio# ypmatch uunet.uu.net hosts
	192.48.96.2     uunet.uu.net

ypserv under IRIX includes a -i option which tells ypserv to look at
named for unknown hosts/addresses. The RISCos version does not seem to
offer this. "strings /usr/etc/yp/ypserv" shows that ypserv knows about
/etc/vis.conf, but does not seem to pass that information on to its
clients.

Any theories? This is really frustrating since without nameservice, NIS
is useless on our network. I can simply turn off ypserv on the MIPS and
continue running off the Sun for now. Is there something obvious that
I'm missing?
				Kanthan Pillay
				Systems Administrator
				Program in Applied and Computational Math
Work: (609) 258-6488    Internet: svpillay@Princeton.EDU
Home: (609) 396-9004    Bitnet:   SVPILLAY@PUCC
Fax:  (609) 258-1735    uucp:     princeton!svpillay

saka@ulis.ac.jp (Tetsuo Sakaguchi) (01/28/91)

In article <5706@idunno.Princeton.EDU> svpillay@idunno.Princeton.EDU (Kanthan Pillay) writes:
>The problem: whenever any yp client binds to the MIPS box, then
>nameservice stops working on the clients. If the client binds to the
>Sun, everything works as advertised.

We found the same problem.  This is because the difference of
mechanizum of NIS between MIPS & Sun. (I thought)

>ypserv under IRIX includes a -i option which tells ypserv to look at

It seems to be IRIX uses NFS3.x.  Ypserv of NFS3.x lookup BIND when
started with option '-i'.
In SunOS4.x, ypserv lookup BIND when the map 'hosts' is made by
makedbm with option '-b'.
These NISs are use same policy that 'YPSERV lookups BIND'.

But, NIS of MIPS(RISCos4.5?) is different from above.
'CLIENTS lookup BIND specified by VIS'.
When any clients on MIPS want to get IP-addr, they look vis.conf and
lookup BIND if 'dns' is specified in vis.conf.
So, MIPS's ypserv does not lookup BIND.  (Clients NOT on MIPS don't
know vis.conf, and cannot get data from BIND.)

>                           I can simply turn off ypserv on the MIPS and
>continue running off the Sun for now.

We choose the same method.  I cannot find any other methods.

If I misunderstand, please tell me.
--
Tetsuo Sakaguchi. University of Library and Information Science, JAPAN.