[comp.sys.mips] Problem with rlogin when resolv.conf is setup

danny@vega.iii.com (danny) (02/06/91)

I have a problem with rlogin when using resolv.conf to point to a primary
server.

If I don't use any named stuff (ie use /etc/hosts file )
I can rlogin to and from  my MIPS machine running os4.51 as
myself (I have account on them) without getting ask for a password.

Now If I set up resolv.conf to point to my primary server, without named
running, ie. as a client server that makes rlogin asking me for a
password before I can login.

Question :
does rlogin skip /etc/host.equiv and .rhosts file when the resolv.conf
is setup?  Is there something I need to setup as the primary server to
make rlogin work without asking for a passwd?

I am currenty running MIPS os4.51 and my primary server is running Ultrix 4.0

Thanks in advance.
Danny
/*-------------------------------------------------------------------*/
Innovative Interfaces Inc.       |Mail Address
Berkeley, CA 94710               |   Internet : danny@vega.iii.com
Phone : (415)644-3600 x402       |   UUCP : uunet!...
/*-------------------------------------------------------------------*/

k2@bl.physik.tu-muenchen.de (Klaus Steinberger) (02/06/91)

danny@vega.iii.com (danny) writes:

>I have a problem with rlogin when using resolv.conf to point to a primary
>server.

>If I don't use any named stuff (ie use /etc/hosts file )
>I can rlogin to and from  my MIPS machine running os4.51 as
>myself (I have account on them) without getting ask for a password.

>Now If I set up resolv.conf to point to my primary server, without named
>running, ie. as a client server that makes rlogin asking me for a
>password before I can login.

>Question :
>does rlogin skip /etc/host.equiv and .rhosts file when the resolv.conf
>is setup?  Is there something I need to setup as the primary server to
>make rlogin work without asking for a passwd?

I suppose, you have entered in hosts.equiv only the short names.
If you use the nameserver, you will get the fully qualified domain name
back from gethostbyaddr calls (the hostname with the domain appened).
So you must also enter those FQDN's in hosts.equiv, or .rhosts.

Sincerely,
Klaus Steinberger
--
Klaus Steinberger               Beschleunigerlabor der TU und LMU Muenchen
Phone: (+49 89)3209 4287        Hochschulgelaende

houman@mips2.cr.bull.com (Houman Shafiezadeh) (02/06/91)

In article <185@vega.iii.com>, danny@vega.iii.com (danny) writes:
|> I have a problem with rlogin when using resolv.conf to point to a primary
|> server.
|>
|> If I don't use any named stuff (ie use /etc/hosts file )
|> I can rlogin to and from  my MIPS machine running os4.51 as
|> myself (I have account on them) without getting ask for a password.
|>
|> Now If I set up resolv.conf to point to my primary server, without named
|> running, ie. as a client server that makes rlogin asking me for a
|> password before I can login.
|>
|> Question :
|> does rlogin skip /etc/host.equiv and .rhosts file when the resolv.conf
|> is setup?  Is there something I need to setup as the primary server to
|> make rlogin work without asking for a passwd?
|>
|> I am currenty running MIPS os4.51 and my primary server is running Ultrix 4.0
|>
|> Thanks in advance.
|> Danny

Try including the domainnames  in your .rhosts file.
eg.
london.bull.com  houman        instead of just            london    houman

|				||					 |
|Houman Shafiezadeh		||	houman@mips2.cr.bull.com	 |
|Unix Software Development	||					 |
|Bull H.N. Information Systems	||=======================================|
|300 Concord RD.		||					 |
|Billerica, MA 01821		||					 |
|				||					 |

stacy@sobeco.com (s.millions) (02/07/91)

In <185@vega.iii.com> danny@vega.iii.com (danny) writes:

>Question :
>does rlogin skip /etc/host.equiv and .rhosts file when the resolv.conf
>is setup?

No, rlogin/rsh/rcp etc. still check these files.

>          Is there something I need to setup as the primary server to
>make rlogin work without asking for a passwd?

I can't say for sure, but it sounds like a problem with your .rhosts
and /etc/hosts.equiv. When you are using a DNS, the resolver returns
the fully cononicalized domain name. There is an easy way to check.
If you type 'ping host' and get
	PING host.domain.name (XXX.XXX.XXX.XXX):...
then you must use host.domain.name in your hosts.equiv or .rhosts. If
your DNS is not stable, and host is in your /etc/hosts table, than it
is possible for either host or host.domain.name to be returned by the
resolver. In this case you should include both names in the hosts.equiv
and .rhosts files.

>I am currenty running MIPS os4.51 and my primary server is running Ultrix 4.0

In UMIPS 4.5 you have a file called /etc/vis.conf in which you can define
what is used to resolve a hostname, if you restrict it to just the DNS,
then you don't need to worry about using both naming conventions.

A word of warning: the resolver on UMIPS 4.anything does not handle
multiple domains or multiple nameservers. To get around the multiple
namesever problem, we opted to run named on all hosts forwarding to
our main nameservers. Then the resolv.conf looks like:
	domain domain.name
	nameserver 127.1
I haven't come up with a solution to the multiple domains yet.

Hope this helps.

-stacy

--
"You have only 24 hours to live.... well, 22 hours. Sorry      stacy@sobeco.com
I kept you waiting so long" - doctor to Homer Simpson        uunet!sobeco!stacy