[comp.sys.mips] CERN program library

pbickers@tamaluit.phys.uidaho.edu (Paul Bickerstaff) (02/05/91)

Before I get too far into attempting to port this to my Magnum3000
is there by any chance anybody out there who has done or
attempted this port.

The CERN library contains maths libraries, graphics, an interesting
package called PAW (Physics Activities Workstation) as well as some
programs specific to high energy physics. (25 MB of "patchy" source.)

CERN currently support
  Apollo 3000         APO    SR 10.2 (-cpu m68k)
  Apollo 10000        A10    SR 10.2 (-cpu a88k)
  DECstation 5000     DEC    Ultrix v4.0
  IBM RISC 6000-530   IRS    AIX v3.1
  Sil.Graphics Iris   SGI    IRIX Sys V Rel 3.3.1
  Sun SPARCstation 1  SUN    OS v4.0.3c
but not Mips. (This by the way is influencing some workstation
purchase decisions. Anybody at Mips listening?)

If you're interested please e-mail. It could influence whether I do this
now or later.

Also, are there any useful guidelines as to when it might be better to
start from SGI or DEC source?

Paul Bickerstaff                 Internet: pbickers@tamaluit.phys.uidaho.edu
Physics Dept., Univ. of Idaho    Phone:    (208) 885 6809
Moscow ID 83843, USA             FAX:      (208) 885 6173

rogerk@MIPS.com (Roger B.A. Klorese) (02/08/91)

In article <1991Feb04.220608.24845@groucho> pbickers@tamaluit.phys.uidaho.edu (Paul Bickerstaff) writes:
>This by the way is influencing some workstation purchase decisions. Anybody
>at Mips listening?)

Yes, but I'm not sure what we should do about it... suggestions?

>Also, are there any useful guidelines as to when it might be better to
>start from SGI or DEC source?

My suggestion would be to start with the SGI source if the issue of
endianness is relevant.  Otherwise, if there are OS dependencies,
port the SGI version to -systype sysv and the DEC variant to -systype
bsd43.
--
ROGER B.A. KLORESE                                  MIPS Computer Systems, Inc.
MS 6-05    930 DeGuigne Dr.   Sunnyvale, CA  94086              +1 408 524-7421