[comp.sys.mips] touble with rlogin to mips

larry@focsys.uucp (Larry Williamson) (02/13/91)

Any attempt to rlogin to our RC2030's and M120's from any other
machine causes us trouble. Telnet works adequately, but not perfect
either. This problem exists if the user's shell is csh, /bin/sh seems
to work okay.

The trouble is difficult to describe. Basically, all command line
processing is messed up. When pressing carriage return, we don't get
a new prompt. After a command has executed, we don't get a new
prompt. In fact, a great deal of the command's output is lost. If we
enter a number of carriage returns in a row, the connection appears to
lock up.

This problem exists regardless of the type of machine we rlogin from.
We have 386's running Interactive Unix 2.2, Sony News stations running
BSD 4.3, Dec stations running Ultrix 4.1, MS-DOS machines running
ftp's rloginvt program. In short, all machines. It does not seem to
matter whether one uses /bin/sh, csh, ksh or bash on the non mips
machine.

Mips <-> mips works just fine (as you would expect).

Any advice??

-Larry

larry@focsys.uucp (Larry Williamson) (02/14/91)

I have found that when rlogin'd to RISC/os 4.51 and running csh with
emacs line editing enabled causes the trouble I've described in the
referenced article.

If line editing is not enabled, then the problem does not exist.

I don't want to suffer with the csh with no emacs line editing :-(((

Any thoughts?

-Larry

datri@convex.com (Anthony A. Datri) (02/15/91)

>If line editing is not enabled, then the problem does not exist.
>I don't want to suffer with the csh with no emacs line editing :-(((

I don't know what csh you've got, but the default Mips csh and tcsh 5.18
and 5.20 work fine for me.

In MDDT no one can hear you scream

kdenning@pcserver2.naitc.com (Karl Denninger) (02/20/91)

In article <LARRY.91Feb14082223@focsys.uucp> larry@focsys.uucp (Larry Williamson) writes:

>I have found that when rlogin'd to RISC/os 4.51 and running csh with
>emacs line editing enabled causes the trouble I've described in the
>referenced article.
>
>If line editing is not enabled, then the problem does not exist.
>
>I don't want to suffer with the csh with no emacs line editing :-(((
>
>Any thoughts?

Try stty line 0

--
Karl Denninger - AC Nielsen, Bannockburn IL (708) 317-3285
kdenning@nis.naitc.com

"The most dangerous command on any computer is the carriage return."
Disclaimer:  The opinions here are solely mine and may or may not reflect
  	     those of the company.