[comp.sys.mips] uucp name .vs. hostname

rogerk@MIPS.com (Roger B.A. Klorese) (02/14/91)

In article <1991Feb12.165443.5579@mips.mitek.com> matt@convex.mitek.com (Matthew Lyle) writes:
>This may be an obvious question that I'm just missing in the documentation but
>is there a way to set the uucp name to be different from the hostname in
>RiscOS 4.51?

Actually, it's an obvious question *we're* missing in the documentation, as
was AT&T in the document whence ours is derived.  Use the undocumented
"MYNAME" option in the Permissions file:

	LOGNAME=foo MYNAME=bar ...
--
ROGER B.A. KLORESE                                  MIPS Computer Systems, Inc.
MS 6-05    930 DeGuigne Dr.   Sunnyvale, CA  94088              +1 408 524-7421

stacy@sobeco.com (s.millions) (02/21/91)

In <573@spim.mips.COM> rogerk@MIPS.com (Roger B.A. Klorese) writes:
>... matt@convex.mitek.com (Matthew Lyle) writes:
>>is there a way to set the uucp name to be different from the hostname in
>>RiscOS 4.51?
>
>Actually, it's an obvious question *we're* missing in the documentation, as
>was AT&T in the document whence ours is derived.  Use the undocumented
>"MYNAME" option in the Permissions file:
>
>	LOGNAME=foo MYNAME=bar ...

Unfortunately, if the host you are talking to uses the VALIDATE option
in thier Permissions file entry for your host, they will get your
real name. To avoid this problem, I wrote a short program to change
the nodename field of the utsname structure in the kernel. It runs
from rc2 after the hostname is set. We have been using this for
4 or 5 months now with no ill effects on either the uucp or tcp
side of this host (our mail/news gateway).

-stacy

--
"You have only 24 hours to live.... well, 22 hours. Sorry      stacy@sobeco.com
I kept you waiting so long" - doctor to Homer Simpson        uunet!sobeco!stacy