[comp.sys.mips] Ypbind -- isn't detaching properly

reggers@ria.ccs.uwo.ca (Reg Quinton) (03/14/91)

We're running Risc/Os 4.51 on an M/120 and want this machine to be a YP
(aka NIS) server. Of course there's nothing put together on the machine
to do this so you have to build all the startup files from scratch.

Anyways, I'm having some luck but one irritating problem is ypbind. When
ypbind is started at boot time it just disappears. When the system is up and
running I can start a version by hand and it will stay up and running as a
proper daemon.  This sounds an awful lot like the problems we had with sylogd
in earlier versions of Risc/Os.

Has anyone else seen this problem? Has anyone got a solution?

rogerk@mips.com (Roger B.A. Klorese) (03/14/91)

In article <1991Mar13.162029@ria.ccs.uwo.ca> reggers@ria.ccs.uwo.ca (Reg Quinton) writes:
>Anyways, I'm having some luck but one irritating problem is ypbind. When
>ypbind is started at boot time it just disappears. When the system is up and
>running I can start a version by hand and it will stay up and running as a
>proper daemon.  This sounds an awful lot like the problems we had with sylogd
>in earlier versions of Risc/Os.
>
>Has anyone else seen this problem? Has anyone got a solution?

Yes.

(a) As per the release notes, start ypbind and ypserv with "nohup"

- or -

(b) Upgrade to 4.52.
--
ROGER B.A. KLORESE                                  MIPS Computer Systems, Inc.
MS 6-05    930 DeGuigne Dr.   Sunnyvale, CA  94088              +1 408 524-7421

reggers@ria.ccs.uwo.ca (Reg Quinton) (03/15/91)

In article <991@spim.mips.COM>, rogerk@mips.com (Roger B.A. Klorese) writes:
|> (a) As per the release notes, start ypbind and ypserv with "nohup"

a number of people have made this suggestion, thanks to all.

Next question (two steps forward, one step back)....

I can no longer yet ypserv started at all (or any of the others). I get a
gripe in /etc/yp/ypserv.log as follows:

   [3:33pm julian] page ypserv.log
   Cannot register service (program 100004, version 2): RPC: Timed out
   Thu Mar 14 15:15:21: ypserv:  Unable to register service for udp.

This is very strange since rpcinfo reports that all sorts of other services
have been registered. Any ideas?

mgc@myshkin.udev.cdc.com (Mark G Christenson) (03/16/91)

In article <1991Mar14.153702@ria.ccs.uwo.ca>, reggers@ria.ccs.uwo.ca (Reg Quinton) writes:
|> Next question (two steps forward, one step back)....
|>
|> I can no longer yet ypserv started at all (or any of the others). I get a
|> gripe in /etc/yp/ypserv.log as follows:
|>
|>    [3:33pm julian] page ypserv.log
|>    Cannot register service (program 100004, version 2): RPC: Timed out
|>    Thu Mar 14 15:15:21: ypserv:  Unable to register service for udp.
|>
|> This is very strange since rpcinfo reports that all sorts of other services
|> have been registered. Any ideas?

Did you by any chance remove 'localhost' from your hosts file?

Mark

--
Mark Christenson <mgc@myshkin.udev.cdc.com>
Control Data Corporation

reggers@ria.ccs.uwo.ca (Reg Quinton) (03/19/91)

Quinton) writes:

|> Did you by any chance remove 'localhost' from your hosts file?

a number of people have made this suggestion.

No, I haven't removed localhost from /etc/hosts. Anyways, if I had wouldn't
the portmapper have failed for all the other services that are successfully
registered?

Still curious.

kdenning@pcserver2.naitc.com (Karl Denninger) (03/21/91)

In article <1991Mar13.162029@ria.ccs.uwo.ca> reggers@ria.ccs.uwo.ca (Reg Quinton) writes:
>We're running Risc/Os 4.51 on an M/120 and want this machine to be a YP
>(aka NIS) server. Of course there's nothing put together on the machine
>to do this so you have to build all the startup files from scratch.
>
>Anyways, I'm having some luck but one irritating problem is ypbind. When
>ypbind is started at boot time it just disappears. When the system is up and
>running I can start a version by hand and it will stay up and running as a
>proper daemon.  This sounds an awful lot like the problems we had with sylogd
>in earlier versions of Risc/Os.
>
>Has anyone else seen this problem? Has anyone got a solution?

Yes.

It is easy to fix.

Start it with a "nohup ypbind >/dev/null 2>&1".....

You want to do two "ypwhich" calls after that, with a 2 second delay (or
thereabouts) after that. The first will return a "no bound"; the second will
return the server name.  Then you're all set.

--
Karl Denninger - AC Nielsen, Bannockburn IL (708) 317-3285
kdenning@nis.naitc.com

"The most dangerous command on any computer is the carriage return."
Disclaimer:  The opinions here are solely mine and may or may not reflect
  	     those of the company.