[comp.sys.mips] Wangdat - works on Magnum, but not on M120

rex@cs.su.oz (Rex Di Bona) (03/19/91)

We are trying out a wangdat 2600 (2Gb -> 5Gb compressed) DAT tape drive.
This works fine on a magnum (and a 2030) but when we try to use it on
a M120 we can write, but reading causes either the kernel to just hang
(the usual response) or the kernel to panic with a scsi error. Has anybody
else seen this, and know the reason for it/how to fix it?

We are running 4.51 on all machines.
--------
Rex di Bona (rex@cs.su.oz.au)
Penguin Lust is NOT immoral

janm@dramba.neis.oz (Jan Mikkelsen) (03/22/91)

In article <2205@cluster.cs.su.oz.au> rex@cluster.cs.su.oz (Rex Di Bona) writes:
>We are trying out a wangdat 2600 (2Gb -> 5Gb compressed) DAT tape drive.
>This works fine on a magnum (and a 2030) but when we try to use it on
>a M120 we can write, but reading causes either the kernel to just hang
>(the usual response) or the kernel to panic with a scsi error. Has anybody
>else seen this, and know the reason for it/how to fix it?
>
>We are running 4.51 on all machines.
>--------
>Rex di Bona (rex@cs.su.oz.au)
>Penguin Lust is NOT immoral

We got panics when reading and writing on the our Magnums.  The vendor
(Comperex) took it back and are trying to get it to work, but I haven't
heard anything from them yet.

Interesting ... How do you have the drive set up?

--
Jan Mikkelsen
janm@dramba.neis.oz.AU or janm%dramba.neis.oz@metro.ucc.su.oz.au