[comp.sys.mips] Looking for RPG compiler on RISC/os

steve@p4tustin.UUCP (Steve C. Moritsugu) (02/06/91)

I would like to move about 2000 programs from an IBM 36/38
to a RISC/os system.  Does anyone out there know any RPG compilers
running under MIPS?

--
Steve Moritsugu, Customer Support                  voice: (714) 259-0777
POINT 4 Data Corporation                             fax: (714) 259-0921

davecb@yunexus.YorkU.CA (David Collier-Brown) (02/06/91)

steve@p4tustin.UUCP (Steve C. Moritsugu) writes:
| I would like to move about 2000 programs from an IBM 36/38
| to a RISC/os system.  Does anyone out there know any RPG compilers
| running under MIPS?

  Well, no.  Not that you can't port one, but the cost and effort might be
prohibitive...

  Many many years ago I had to write some RPG II, and if faced with doing
the same today, I'd do one of three things:
	1) find a translation house (they'll put it into COBOL)
	2) write a mini-compiler into a language Mips already has, or
	3) semi-manually translate the programs.
  The latter doesn't take a lot of skill, just good judgment, lots of
planning and a willingness to make many misteaques. I'd discuss that
approach for a bit:

  Given that RPG is a Report Program Generator, I'd recommend analyzing the
RPG data file layouts carefully and writing some simple scripts to produce
the critical information your company needs from them. For a language, use
(new) awk, the unix scanning-and-reporting language (ie, **our** RPG).  Then
analyze the whole system and ask the customers what they need first.
Finally, write the required functions.

  If you also lack a database and a 4gl, you're still probably best off with
awk. If you have a database, speak nicely to your vendor.

--dave

refs:
Aho, Kernighan and Weinberger, ``The AWK Programming Language'', Reading,
	Mass (Addison-Wesley) 1988.
Spencer, Henry, ``Awk as a <serious? system?> Programming Language'', last
	month's usenix proceedings.
--
David Collier-Brown,  | davecb@Nexus.YorkU.CA | lethe!dave
72 Abitibi Ave.,      |

gah@arnor.uucp (02/07/91)

Not wanting to seem biased or changing the direction of the question...
there was/is RPG-II for the IBM RT and you might look into its availability
for the RISC System/6000.

khb@chiba.Eng.Sun.COM (Keith Bierman fpgroup) (02/07/91)

LPI nee Liant has a suite of compilers, including RPG, available on
several platforms. Try 408 236 2202.
Keith H. Bierman    kbierman@Eng.Sun.COM | khb@chiba.Eng.Sun.COM
SMI 2550 Garcia 12-33			 | (415 336 2648)
    Mountain View, CA 94043

trevc@moosehead.mips.com (Trevor Cotton) (02/09/91)

In article <1991Feb6.161613.26807@arnor.uucp>, gah@arnor.uucp writes:
> Not wanting to seem biased or changing the direction of the question...
> there was/is RPG-II for the IBM RT and you might look into its availability
> for the RISC System/6000.
> --

Software Ireland used to do RPG for RISC/os.

Try calling them on +44 232 247433

rogerk@mips.com (Roger B.A. Klorese) (03/23/91)

Universal Software in Irvine announced a package called Open UX/36, which
includes an RPG II/RPG III/RPG 400 compiler.  Contact them at (714) 851-8021.
--
ROGER B.A. KLORESE                                  MIPS Computer Systems, Inc.
MS 6-05    930 DeGuigne Dr.   Sunnyvale, CA  94088              +1 408 524-7421