[comp.sys.mips] parallel printer port problems

jns@fernwood.mpk.ca.US (Jerry Sweet) (03/25/91)

We have a MIPS-supplied ISI CP serial/parallel board in our system.
When we upgraded from the old BSD version of RISC/os to the newer
RISC/os 4.51, the parallel printer port promptly stopped working.
Whenever there's an attempt to print something via lpr, errors now
appear in /usr/adm/messages to the effect that there is a VME bus
error.  This is a pretty severe problem.  Has anyone had a similar
problem...and gotten a fix for it?

rogerk@mips.com (Roger B.A. Klorese) (03/28/91)

In article <9103241934.AA29897@fernwood.mpk.ca.us> jns@fernwood.mpk.ca.US (Jerry Sweet) writes:
>We have a MIPS-supplied ISI CP serial/parallel board in our system.
>When we upgraded from the old BSD version of RISC/os to the newer
>RISC/os 4.51, the parallel printer port promptly stopped working.
>Whenever there's an attempt to print something via lpr, errors now
>appear in /usr/adm/messages to the effect that there is a VME bus
>error.  This is a pretty severe problem.  Has anyone had a similar
>problem...and gotten a fix for it?

Check jumper E7 on the board.  It must be in place.  UMIPS-BSD addressed
the port in 16-bit mode, and RISC/os uses 24-bit mode.
--
ROGER B.A. KLORESE                                  MIPS Computer Systems, Inc.
MS 6-05    930 DeGuigne Dr.   Sunnyvale, CA  94088              +1 408 524-7421