[comp.sys.mips] Integer Multiply and Divide Times

jdp@polstra.UUCP (John Polstra) (04/03/91)

Could somebody give me an idea of the execution times (in cycles) for
the MULT, MULTU, DIV, and DIVU instructions on the R3000?

The "MIPS Risc Architecture" book by Kane contains such information
about all the other instructions, even the floating point operations,
but it is vague about how long an integer multiply or divide takes.
From that I infer that the execution times for these instructions are
variable.

If anybody out there can tell me the minimum, maximum, and average
execution times for these instructions, I'd appreciate hearing from
you.  Thanks in advance.
--
   John Polstra               polstra!jdp@uunet.uu.net
   Polstra & Co., Inc.           ...!uunet!polstra!jdp

cprice@mips.com (Charlie Price) (04/05/91)

In article <7819@polstra.UUCP> jdp@polstra.UUCP (John Polstra) writes:
>Could somebody give me an idea of the execution times (in cycles) for
>the MULT, MULTU, DIV, and DIVU instructions on the R3000?

The number of cycles required between a MULT, MULTU, DIV, or DIVU
operation and a subsequent MFHI or MFLO operation in order that no
interlock or stall occurs is:

	MULT	MULTU	DIV	DIVU

R2000	12	12	35	35
R3000	12	12	35	35
R6000	17	18	38	37
--
Charlie Price    cprice@mips.mips.com        (408) 720-1700
MIPS Computer Systems / 928 Arques Ave.  MS 1-03 / Sunnyvale, CA   94086-23650