[comp.sys.mips] RC6280 crashing

gamiddle@watmath.waterloo.edu (Guy Middleton) (04/10/91)

We're having some trouble with our RC6280.  If anybody has a stable
configuration (one that stays up for more than one day), I would very much
like to hear from you, especially if you have any advice.  Thanks.

 -Guy Middleton, University of Waterloo		gamiddleton@watmath.waterloo.edu
		(+1 519 885 1211 x3472)		gamiddleton@watmath.uwaterloo.ca

at@cc.tut.fi (Toivo Veli) (04/10/91)

In article <1991Apr9.202253.13384@watmath.waterloo.edu>
gamiddle@watmath.waterloo.edu (Guy Middleton) writes:
> We're having some trouble with our RC6280.  If anybody has a stable
> configuration (one that stays up for more than one day), I would very much
> like to hear from you, especially if you have any advice.  Thanks.

We have one, which seems to have been stable for about 2 weeks now.
Our machine crashed regularly after staying up for about 2 - 4 days,
but now it has broken the uptime record by doubling the last value
(a week, made in a holiday season):

# uptime
 1:11pm  up 14 days, 3:31,  55 users,  load average: 3.73, 3.22, 2.67
#

How did we reach this? Simple, just configure the kernel parameters
NBLK4096 & NBLK2048 from 2 to 16.... How did we know which parameters
to change? Simple, our hardware maintenance was in contact with Mips
(UK) more than our local distributor...

We have now found a few more interesting features, which can be seen
only when the machine runs long enough. Talkd and in.phoned both seem
to be hanging around in process table, so I have now killed about 50
of each.

Our /etc/passwd now contains 1760 lines and 600 - 700 of our users
visit the machine daily. Average simultaneous users has been as high
as 96, but now seems to be around 60 - 70 at maximum.

We are still running RiscOS 4.51, but as soon as 4.52 comes here,
we try to get it. We heard that these diskquota-panics have been
somewhat cleaned in the new version. We have had plenty of them...
The machine was installed last year.

If you have any questions I will try to answer.

	- at
--
Anssi Toivo - TUT Computer Centre - at@cc.tut.fi

rogerk@mips.com (Roger B.A. Klorese) (04/11/91)

In article <AT.91Apr10142245@lehtori.cc.tut.fi> at@cc.tut.fi (Toivo Veli) writes:
>We are still running RiscOS 4.51, but as soon as 4.52 comes here,
>we try to get it. We heard that these diskquota-panics have been
>somewhat cleaned in the new version. We have had plenty of them...

Until you receive 4.52, a workaround for the diskquota panics is to
increase the size of the disk quota cache:

	/etc/kopt set _riscos_max_disk_quota_cache 512

(It starts out as 128 for RC6280s.)

You can also do this by binary reconfiguration, changing the value of
RISCOS_MAX_DQUOT_CACHE in /usr/reconfig/master.d/kernel.<cpu-board>_std.
--
ROGER B.A. KLORESE                                  MIPS Computer Systems, Inc.
MS 6-05    930 DeGuigne Dr.   Sunnyvale, CA  94088              +1 408 524-7421

gamiddle@watmath.waterloo.edu (Guy Middleton) (04/11/91)

I would like to apologise for the negative tone in my last posting.  I have
just been informed that our hardware people and the MIPS local office are
still working on the problem, and I really should not have bothered the net
with this at the moment.  Sorry...

at@cc.tut.fi (Toivo Veli) (04/11/91)

In article <2138@spim.mips.COM> rogerk@mips.com (Roger B.A. Klorese) writes:
>   Until you receive 4.52, a workaround for the diskquota panics is to
>   increase the size of the disk quota cache:
>
>	   /etc/kopt set _riscos_max_disk_quota_cache 512
>
>   (It starts out as 128 for RC6280s.)

Straight from our local start-up file:
        echo "Fixing bug in quota-allocation" > /dev/console
        /etc/kopt set _riscos_max_disk_quota_cache 512

Didn't make any difference. We have not tried to configure this
as default into the kernel, but it shouldn't cause any difference,
should it?

	- at
--
Anssi Toivo - TUT Computer Centre - at@cc.tut.fi
Tampere University of Technology

zdenko@katzo.rice.edu (zdenko tomasic) (04/11/91)

In article <AT.91Apr11144400@lehtori.cc.tut.fi> at@cc.tut.fi (Toivo Veli) writes:

>In article <2138@spim.mips.COM> rogerk@mips.com (Roger B.A. Klorese) writes:
>>   Until you receive 4.52, a workaround for the diskquota panics is to
>>   increase the size of the disk quota cache:
>>
>>	   /etc/kopt set _riscos_max_disk_quota_cache 512
>>
>>   (It starts out as 128 for RC6280s.)
>
>Straight from our local start-up file:
>        echo "Fixing bug in quota-allocation" > /dev/console
>        /etc/kopt set _riscos_max_disk_quota_cache 512
>
>Didn't make any difference. We have not tried to configure this
 ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
It is my impression that some kopts settings do not take effect unless
set at the monitor prompt (i.e. before system boot)

>as default into the kernel, but it shouldn't cause any difference,
>should it?
>
>	- at
>--
>Anssi Toivo - TUT Computer Centre - at@cc.tut.fi
>Tampere University of Technology

Zdenko Tomasic, Rice U., Chem. Dept., P.O. Box 1892, Houston, Tx 77251
INTERNET: zdenko@katzo.rice.edu

rogerk@mips.com (Roger B.A. Klorese) (04/12/91)

In article <1991Apr11.153215.15451@rice.edu> zdenko@katzo.rice.edu (zdenko tomasic) writes:
>It is my impression that some kopts settings do not take effect unless
>set at the monitor prompt (i.e. before system boot)

kopt is *never* run at the monitor prompt.  It is a Unix command, and should
be run as you did.
--
ROGER B.A. KLORESE                                  MIPS Computer Systems, Inc.
MS 6-05    930 DeGuigne Dr.   Sunnyvale, CA  94088              +1 408 524-7421
"10 years of Reagan/Bush have brought us to a new place: postconstitutional
America." - Jon Carroll     rogerk@mips.COM | {ames,decwrl,pyramid}!mips!rogerk

rogerk@mips.com (Roger B.A. Klorese) (04/12/91)

In article <AT.91Apr11144400@lehtori.cc.tut.fi> at@cc.tut.fi (Toivo Veli) writes:
>Straight from our local start-up file:
>        echo "Fixing bug in quota-allocation" > /dev/console
>        /etc/kopt set _riscos_max_disk_quota_cache 512
>Didn't make any difference. We have not tried to configure this
>as default into the kernel, but it shouldn't cause any difference,
>should it?

No, it shouldn't.  This may not, in fact, make any difference.  It doesn't
cause crashes not to happen; it merely delays the time the cache will
wrap around and get corrupted.