[comp.sys.mips] MIPS-I cf. MIPS-II

jordan@aero.org (Larry M. Jordan) (04/17/91)

Could someone summarize the basic distinction between these
two generations?  I've not seen these terms used before (I've
not much exposure to this news group).  Which versions of
MIPS OS correspond?

--Larry

rogerk@mips.com (Roger B.A. Klorese) (04/17/91)

In article <1991Apr16.173023.7070@aero.org> jordan@aero.org (Larry M. Jordan) writes:
>Could someone summarize the basic distinction between these
>two generations?  I've not seen these terms used before (I've
>not much exposure to this news group).  Which versions of
>MIPS OS correspond?

MIPS-I: R2000, R3000, R3000A (modulo the RE, reverse-endian, bit in the
        Status Register).  Documented in the "MIPS RISC Architecture" book
        currently available.

MIPS-II: R6000.  Full superset of MIPS-I; adds Load Linked/Store Conditional,
         Branch (on xxx) Likely, Exception instructions (Trap if xxx),
         Load/Store Double Coprocessor, Flush, Invalidate, Store to/Load
         from Cache.

These are all 32-bit instructions.  It would not take a great leap to interpret
the technology announcement for the R4000 to assume that a 64-bit superset
is coming.
--
ROGER B.A. KLORESE                                  MIPS Computer Systems, Inc.
MS 6-05    930 DeGuigne Dr.   Sunnyvale, CA  94088              +1 408 524-7421