[comp.sys.mips] connecting printer to Digiboard on Magnum

pbickers@tamaluit (Paul Bickerstaff) (04/25/91)

I'd very much appreciate hearing from anybody who has successfully
connected a serial printer to one of the digiboard ports on a Magnum
3000.  I've tried both lpr and lpsched but can't get anything to work.
The documentation is  not very helpful; the bsd documentation
particularly so.

I'm assuming that the (16-port) Digiboard P1 translates to ttyd0. Do I
need to alter the inittab entry for a printer?

I'm running  4.51 and  am specifically trying to connect an HP Rugged
Writer (which can run under both HP and Epson modes).  Neither
hp nor dumb make any difference when supplied with lpadmin.  The
files get accepted for printing but nothing happens.  Similar
behaviour under bsd -- the files just sit in the queue.  (lpc thinks the
printer is off-line which of course it is not.  Also I don't understand how
to associate a particular tty line with a printer under bsd.  The previous
remarks refer to an lp=/dev/lp entry in printcap. If I use lp=/dev/ttyd0 the
lpd daemon is not recognised as existing.  Nor do I understand when the
system prefers terminfo to printcap. It does make a difference to change
the printcap as above.)

What might I be overlooking in both bsd and sysV?  (I do know about
the link for printer in init.d)

(And to save another posting next week I'm looking to do a similar
thing with a LJIII in postscript mode so if anybody has succeeded with
that one I'm eager to hear the details!)

Any pointers gratefully accepted.
Thank-you

Paul Bickerstaff                 Internet: pbickers@tamaluit.phys.uidaho.edu
Physics Dept., Univ. of Idaho    Phone:    (208) 885 6809
Moscow ID 83843, USA             FAX:      (208) 885 6173

janm@dramba.neis.oz (Jan Mikkelsen) (04/27/91)

In article <1991Apr24.224647.10196@groucho> pbickers@tamaluit (Paul Bickerstaff) writes:
>I'd very much appreciate hearing from anybody who has successfully
>connected a serial printer to one of the digiboard ports on a Magnum
>3000.  I've tried both lpr and lpsched but can't get anything to work.
>The documentation is  not very helpful; the bsd documentation
>particularly so.

We have it working on our Magnums.  For lpsched the interface script needs
to be modified to do a stty to get the line right.

>I'm assuming that the (16-port) Digiboard P1 translates to ttyd0. Do I
>need to alter the inittab entry for a printer?

Just make sure that there is no getty running on the printer port.

Of course your problem could be different from the one we have; nothing
can be done in various ways.  If you want the interface script from
our system, I can email it to you.

--
Jan Mikkelsen
janm@dramba.neis.oz.AU or janm%dramba.neis.oz@metro.ucc.su.oz.au