[comp.sys.mips] Preventing root login on pseudo-ttys

cczdao@mips.nott.ac.uk (David Osborne) (04/26/91)

Creating /etc/login.root.console.ok, as described in login(1),
successfully prevents root logins on directly-connected or
X.29-connected terminals, other than the console.  However, root
logins on pseudo-ttys (ttyq*) are still possible.  Is there a way to
lock these out?  I'd like to force those who need root access to use
su instead, as that's accountable and logged.

Configuration: M/2000, RiscOS 4.51

--dave
  David Osborne, Cripps Computing Centre, University of Nottingham
                        Nottingham NG7 2RD, UK
                    (Phone: +44 602 484848 x2064)

JANET: d.osborne@uk.ac.nott.mips  Internet: d.osborne@mips.nott.ac.uk
--
David Osborne

rogerk@mips.com (Roger B.A. Klorese) (04/27/91)

In article <1991Apr26.122640.12194@cs.nott.ac.uk> cczdao@mips.nott.ac.uk (David Osborne) writes:
>Creating /etc/login.root.console.ok, as described in login(1),
>successfully prevents root logins on directly-connected or
>X.29-connected terminals, other than the console.  However, root
>logins on pseudo-ttys (ttyq*) are still possible.  Is there a way to
>lock these out?  I'd like to force those who need root access to use
>su instead, as that's accountable and logged.

This is already reported as bug #7149.  I expect a fix in the next full
release.
--
ROGER B.A. KLORESE                                  MIPS Computer Systems, Inc.
MS 6-05    930 DeGuigne Dr.   Sunnyvale, CA  94088              +1 408 524-7421