[comp.sys.mips] Using rsh/rlogin to log in to a Mips RC2030

vishy@catinhat.Princeton.EDU (V. Visweswaran) (04/28/91)

I have been trying to use rsh or rlogin from a Sun-4 to log on to our Mips RC2030 .
The problem is that  it always prompts me for a password. I have the name of the
remote host in my  .rhosts file, but this does not seem to work .
 Similarly, I cannot use rcp from the remote host to  end something to the Mips  box.
However, rdist works from the other machine to the mips box.

Is there any way to get the mips machine to accept the remote login from other machines
without prompting for a password (apart from setting up  the remote host name in
/etc/hosts.equiv) or is this not possible? Thanks in advance.

jabarby@sun5.vlsi.waterloo.edu (J.A. Barby) (04/28/91)

In article <8800@idunno.Princeton.EDU>, vishy@catinhat.Princeton.EDU (V. Visweswaran) writes:

> I have been trying to use rsh or rlogin from a Sun-4 to log on to our
> Mips RC2030 .  The problem is that  it always prompts me for a
> password. I have the name of the remote host in my  .rhosts file, but
> this does not seem to work .
>  Similarly, I cannot use rcp from the remote host to  end something to
>  the Mips  box.  However, rdist works from the other machine to the
> mips box.
>
> Is there any way to get the mips machine to accept the remote login
> from other machines without prompting for a password (apart from
> setting up  the remote host name in /etc/hosts.equiv) or is this not
> possible? Thanks in advance.

You need to have two version of the hostname in your ~/.rhosts file, the
fully qualified name followed by the unqualified name.  eg
vlsi.waterloo.edu jabarby
vlsi jabarby
--
	Jim Barby  (U of Waterloo VLSI Group, Waterloo Ont.)
	jabarby@vlsi.waterloo.{edu,bitnet}

zdenko@katzo.rice.edu (zdenko tomasic) (04/28/91)

In article <8800@idunno.Princeton.EDU> vishy@catinhat.Princeton.EDU (V. Visweswaran) writes:

>I have been trying to use rsh or rlogin from a Sun-4 to log on to our Mips RC2030 .
>The problem is that  it always prompts me for a password. I have the name of the
>remote host in my  .rhosts file, but this does not seem to work .
> Similarly, I cannot use rcp from the remote host to  end something to the Mips  box.
>However, rdist works from the other machine to the mips box.
>
>Is there any way to get the mips machine to accept the remote login from other machines
>without prompting for a password (apart from setting up  the remote host name in
>/etc/hosts.equiv) or is this not possible? Thanks in advance.

Make sure your host name is fully qualified in /etc/hosts.equiv (e.g. myhost.here.whatever rather than just myhost)
Zdenko Tomasic, Rice U., Chem. Dept., P.O. Box 1892, Houston, Tx 77251
INTERNET: zdenko@katzo.rice.edu