[comp.sys.mips] 8mm and DAT tape drives under RISC/os

cliff@wesson.phys.ucalgary.ca (Cliff Marcellus) (05/14/91)

I'm looking at putting some 8mm and/or dat tape drives on our set
of RS-2030's, RS-3230's, and RC-3230's.  Could someone out there
who has already done this please let me know the following :

 - which SCSI address did you us? (did you simply replace the
   QIC at 6? or can both happily live on the same system?)

 - which devices (/dev/mt/???) address these drives

 - any tape type-specific parameters such as tape-length
   and recording density for tools such as 'dump', 'tar',
   'dd', ... ?

Many Thanks In Advance!
Cliff
--
Cliff Marcellus                       |  Internet : cliff@phys.ucalgary.ca
Department of Physics and Astronomy   |  SPAN     : CANCAL::CLIFF

rogerk@mips.com (Roger B.A. Klorese) (05/15/91)

In article <1991May14.135758.18797@cpsc.ucalgary.ca> cliff@phys.ucalgary.ca writes:
>I'm looking at putting some 8mm and/or dat tape drives on our set
>of RS-2030's, RS-3230's, and RC-3230's.  Could someone out there
>who has already done this please let me know the following :
>
> - which SCSI address did you us? (did you simply replace the
>   QIC at 6? or can both happily live on the same system?)

Both live quite happily.  The convention is:

0 - system disk
1 - data disk
2 - data disk
3 - data disk
4 - data disk or high-capacity tape
5 - data disk or 1/2" tape
6 - QIC tape
7 - host adapter

> - which devices (/dev/mt/???) address these drives

/dev/[r]mt/hc[04]

> - any tape type-specific parameters such as tape-length
>   and recording density for tools such as 'dump', 'tar',

Nothing special for dd, tar, cpio.  A recommendation for parameters for the
size and density for dump.ffs is found on the man page.
--
ROGER B.A. KLORESE                                  MIPS Computer Systems, Inc.
MS 6-05    930 DeGuigne Dr.   Sunnyvale, CA  94088              +1 408 524-7421