[comp.sys.mips] X version of sar/vsar?

rthomson@mesa.dsd.es.com (Rich Thomson) (05/16/91)

Does anybody have an X-ized version of sar/vsar for MIPS boxes?  I'd
really like to have one of these.

Right now, I have a window manager menu selection that runs vsar in an
80x24 xterm, but its not as fancy as I'd like....  I'd consider
writing one myself, but I'm not keen on digging into the magic
locations in the kernel in order to obtain the necessary data.

						-- Rich
--
  ``Read my MIPS -- no new VAXes!!'' -- George Bush after sniffing freon
	    Disclaimer: I speak for myself, except as noted.

k2@bl.physik.tu-muenchen.de (Klaus Steinberger) (05/16/91)

rthomson@mesa.dsd.es.com (Rich Thomson) writes:

>Does anybody have an X-ized version of sar/vsar for MIPS boxes?  I'd
>really like to have one of these.

>Right now, I have a window manager menu selection that runs vsar in an
>80x24 xterm, but its not as fancy as I'd like....  I'd consider
>writing one myself, but I'm not keen on digging into the magic
>locations in the kernel in order to obtain the necessary data.

There is such a beast on the Utility tape for EP/IX 1.3.1 (basically 4.52).
Maybe MIPS has also an Utility tape?

Klaus Steinberger

--
Klaus Steinberger               Beschleunigerlabor der TU und LMU Muenchen
Phone: (+49 89)3209 4287        Hochschulgelaende

steve@bullet.ecf.toronto.edu (Steve Kotsopoulos) (05/16/91)

In article <1991May16.030533.14424@dsd.es.com> rthomson@dsd.es.com (Rich Thomson) writes:
>Does anybody have an X-ized version of sar/vsar for MIPS boxes?  I'd
>really like to have one of these.

RISCwindows 4.00 has just what you want.
it is /usr/X11/contrib/bin/xsar (and reminds me of xperfmon)
--
Steve Kotsopoulos                   mail:   steve@ecf.utoronto.ca
Systems Analyst                     bitnet: steve@ecf.UTORONTO.BITNET

eldred@hare.cdc.com (d k eldred 853-4650) (05/17/91)

> Does anybody have an X-ized version of sar/vsar for MIPS boxes?  I'd
> really like to have one of these.

Control Data has a number of X-based performance monitors for its EP/IX
operating system for the Control Data 4000 series.  These include (at last
count :-) the following utilities:

* XSAR, which is exactly what you're looking for
* XAP, which displays active processes similar to what was displayed on the
  Control Data NOS "B-display" or the NOS/VE "ved aj" display
* VAP, which is a terminfo variant of XAP
* XCPU, which displays a stacked histogram of recent CPU activity broken down
  into user-, system-, waitIO- and idle-percentages
* XCPU2, which displays the same data as XCPU as four separate histograms
* XCPU3, which displays a snapshot of these as a pie chart
* XDAR, which displays disk activity (subset of XSAR)
* XEWS, which monitors systems health and alerts to operator to possible
  problems before they're serious
* XLPS, which monitors line printers known to a Control Data 4000
* XNET, which displays network traffic (packets read, packets sent, collisions,
  and errors) as four histograms, visually similar to XCPU2

and several more are currently being developed, including an updating version
of "PS", a utility to monitor system calls, and a utility to show memory use.

Through EP/IX 1.3.2 (the latest release) these are available on the "EP/IX
Utilities Package" tape; in the next release these will be bundled with EP/IX
as an optionally installed product.

|  Douglas K. Eldred                 | INTERNET: eldred@hare.udev.cdc.com    |
|  Control Data Corporation (HQC01P) | INTERNET: eldred@systemr.cpg.cdc.com  |
|  8100 34th Avenue South            | Fax:      (612) 853-5963              |
|  Bloomington, MN USA 55425-1640    | Voice:    (612) 853-4650              |