[comp.sys.mips] gnu tar: any one get it compiled?

peter@aucs.AcadiaU.ca (Peter Steele) (05/17/91)

I'm having a lot of trouble getting gnu tar to build on our mips box.
Any one ever try this with success? I have similar problems with dte,
the Wordstar clone from down under. If anyone has worked with either
of these packages, I'd appreciate hearing from you. Please mail me
rather than post as I am going on vacation next week (Florida!) and
usenet messages may be expired before I get back. Thanks.
--
Peter Steele  Postmaster  peter.steele@acadiau.ca   Tel: 902-542-2201
Software Analyst, Acadia University, Wolfville, NS  Fax: 902-542-7224

mek@michael.udev.cdc.com (Mark Kennedy) (05/21/91)

In article <1991May17.144709.15520@aucs.AcadiaU.ca>, peter@aucs.AcadiaU.ca (Peter Steele) writes:
|> I'm having a lot of trouble getting gnu tar to build on our mips box.
|> Any one ever try this with success? I have similar problems with dte,
|> the Wordstar clone from down under. If anyone has worked with either
|> of these packages, I'd appreciate hearing from you. Please mail me
|> rather than post as I am going on vacation next week (Florida!) and
|> usenet messages may be expired before I get back. Thanks.

I'll post this too for those with interest...

Yes, no problem, I compiled gnu tar on our CD4360 running EP/IX 1.3.2
without incident.  Comment out the Berkeley defs in the Makefile and
use the USG macros instead.   I think I changed the LIBS macro to
use -lPW, but not -lndir (I think).  I'll mail the binary to anyone
who requests it.  The big reason I wanted gnu tar (for those who don't
know of it) is it gives you the ability to have your files to be
tarred-up on your local machine, but write the tar tape on a remote
machine.

	-Mark
--
                           ___  ___
                          / __||__ \

wje@redwood.mips.com (William J. Earl) (05/22/91)

In article <33408@shamash.cdc.com>, mek@michael (Mark Kennedy) writes:
> In article <1991May17.144709.15520@aucs.AcadiaU.ca>, peter@aucs.AcadiaU.ca (Peter Steele) writes:
> |> I'm having a lot of trouble getting gnu tar to build on our mips box.
> |> Any one ever try this with success? I have similar problems with dte,
> |> the Wordstar clone from down under. If anyone has worked with either
> |> of these packages, I'd appreciate hearing from you. Please mail me
> |> rather than post as I am going on vacation next week (Florida!) and
> |> usenet messages may be expired before I get back. Thanks.
>
> I'll post this too for those with interest...
>
> Yes, no problem, I compiled gnu tar on our CD4360 running EP/IX 1.3.2
> without incident.  Comment out the Berkeley defs in the Makefile and
> use the USG macros instead.   I think I changed the LIBS macro to
> use -lPW, but not -lndir (I think).  I'll mail the binary to anyone
> who requests it.  The big reason I wanted gnu tar (for those who don't
> know of it) is it gives you the ability to have your files to be
> tarred-up on your local machine, but write the tar tape on a remote
> machine.

    RISC/os (or EP/IX) tar does this for the super-user in RISC/os
4.50, and for all users in RISC/os 5.0 (coming soon...).  The "N" option
(see tar(1)) specifies the remote host on which the tape operations
are to be performaed.
--
	William J. Earl			wje@mips.com
	MIPS Computer Systems		408-524-8172