[comp.sys.mips] Meta key under RiscWindows 4.00

richard@aiai.ed.ac.uk (Richard Tobin) (06/18/91)

I just upgraded my RS2030 to RiscOS 4.52 and RiscWindows 4.00, and my
the "Alt" doesn't work (ie it doesn't set the eighth bit) in xterms.
It does work in emacs windows (though not in emacs inside an xterm).

This is true both of local and remote (Sun) xterms.  I don't have this
problem when using a Sun as the server.  pass8 appears to be set for
the xterm's pty.

Can someone suggest what's wrong?

-- Richard
--
Richard Tobin,                       JANET: R.Tobin@uk.ac.ed
AI Applications Institute,           ARPA:  R.Tobin%uk.ac.ed@nsfnet-relay.ac.uk

sdesmara@sobeco.com (s.desmarais) (06/19/91)

In <4967@skye.ed.ac.uk> richard@aiai.ed.ac.uk (Richard Tobin) writes:

>I just upgraded my RS2030 to RiscOS 4.52 and RiscWindows 4.00, and my
>the "Alt" doesn't work (ie it doesn't set the eighth bit) in xterms.
>It does work in emacs windows (though not in emacs inside an xterm).

We have both RiscWindows 4.0 and 3.20 (not sure of the last one).
3.xx translated "alt a" to "ESC a"  (2 characters, not 8 bits).
I just tried with 4.00, and "alt a" just gives "a".

	To see if it was a problem with only the alt key, or with 8 bits
characters in general, I tried mapping F1 to an 8 bits character using
"xmodmap -e 'keysym F1 = 0351'" (so F1 gives me an "e" with
an accute accent), and 4.0 just strips the 8th bit.  3.20 worked perfectly
well (verified using a simple C program).  I notice the same behavior as
you reported with gnuemacs.

By the way, my stty settings are: -parenb -parodd cs8

>Can someone suggest what's wrong?

Not me.  I simply add my voice to yours saying it's wrong.  You should send
a bug report describing this.

>-- Richard
>--
>Richard Tobin,                       JANET: R.Tobin@uk.ac.ed
>AI Applications Institute,           ARPA:  R.Tobin%uk.ac.ed@nsfnet-relay.ac.uk
>Edinburgh University.                UUCP:  ...!ukc!ed.ac.uk!R.Tobin
--
Stephane M. Desmarais               sdesmara@sobeco.com  ou  sdesmara@sobeco.ca
Division STS - Groupe Sobeco Inc.   {uunet | mcgill-vision}!sobeco.com!sdesmara

courtney@tonto.es.com (Courtney Goeltzenleuchter) (06/19/91)

In article <4967@skye.ed.ac.uk>, richard@aiai.ed.ac.uk (Richard Tobin) writes:
> I just upgraded my RS2030 to RiscOS 4.52 and RiscWindows 4.00, and my
> the "Alt" doesn't work (ie it doesn't set the eighth bit) in xterms.
> It does work in emacs windows (though not in emacs inside an xterm).
>
> Richard Tobin,                       JANET: R.Tobin@uk.ac.ed
> AI Applications Institute,           ARPA:  R.Tobin%uk.ac.ed@nsfnet-relay.ac.uk
> Edinburgh University.                UUCP:  ...!ukc!ed.ac.uk!R.Tobin

I replied directly to the original poster, but seeing that someone else has
the problem I thought I'd better post what I found out.

Anyway, the 4.52 release has a nice little blurb that says "ptys now understand
the ISTRIP flag."  What this means is that now pty's (connections made by
xterms and other things) will be stripped to 7 bits if ISTRIP is set.  Well,
by default, ISTRIP is set.  You can unset it with the SYSV stty command by
doing '/bin/stty -istrip'.

The only other problem is that the BSD stty command confuses you by always
saying that pass8 is enabled.  It lies.  MIPS didn't put the kernel code in
that translated pass8 to -istrip and vice versa.  So, for the 4.52 release
you have to use the SYSV stty command to change the ISTRIP setting.

--
Courtney Goeltzenleuchter, Evans & Sutherland Computer Corporation
Design Systems Division, P.O. Box 8070,

kirk@mips.com (Kirk Erickson) (06/19/91)

In article <1991Jun18.172658.11312@sobeco.com> sdesmara@sobeco.com (s.desmarais) writes:
>In <4967@skye.ed.ac.uk> richard@aiai.ed.ac.uk (Richard Tobin) writes:
>
>>I just upgraded my RS2030 to RiscOS 4.52 and RiscWindows 4.00, and my
>>the "Alt" doesn't work (ie it doesn't set the eighth bit) in xterms.
>>It does work in emacs windows (though not in emacs inside an xterm).
To Make the Alt Key a Meta key (for text widgets), add the following
mapping to your .xsession file:

	xmodmap -e "keysym Alt_L = Meta_L"

You can restrict this mapping to MIPS hardware by getting fancy with
with xdpyinfo.  Have a look at the latest prototype:

	/usr/etc/X11/xdm/xsession.proto
--
Kirk Erickson         <(            MIPS Computer Systems, Sunnyvale, CA