[comp.sys.mips] Maximum number of telnet users on R4.51?

kelvin@thed.uk22.bull.com (Kelvin Hill) (06/27/91)

There is some confusion here as to the absolute maximum number of incoming
telnet sessions that are allowed on an R6280 running R4.51. Does anyone
out in netland (or at Mips) have a definative answer to this question and
if there are restrictions, what they are and why?
We are looking to have upto 2,200 incoming connections per box...

Thanks,
    Kelvin.

--
Kelvin J. Hill - BULL HN Information System Ltd, Hounslow, England, UK.
Internet - kelvin@thed.uk22.bull.com   | UUCP - kelvin@cix.compulink.co.uk

wje@redwood.mips.com (William J. Earl) (06/29/91)

In article <kelvin.678038546@thed.uk22.bull.com>, kelvin@thed (Kelvin Hill) writes:
> There is some confusion here as to the absolute maximum number of incoming
> telnet sessions that are allowed on an R6280 running R4.51. Does anyone
> out in netland (or at Mips) have a definative answer to this question and
> if there are restrictions, what they are and why?
> We are looking to have upto 2,200 incoming connections per box...

      By default, the system is configured for 1024 pseudo-terminals,
and each telnetd process (one per session) consumes a pseudo-terminal.
If you want to raise this limit, you have to increase the number
of pseudo-terminals by modifying master.d/ptc and master.d/pts.
Having done that, you need to also reconfigure the kernel to support
more terminals in general (by increasing streams resources), more
processes (by increasing the number of processes, inodes, file descriptors,
kernel working storage), and more network connections (by increasing
the amount of mbuf storage).  When you increase the number of
pseudo-terminals, you also have to create the ttyqnnnn devices
for all the new pseudo-terminals.
--
	William J. Earl			wje@mips.com
	MIPS Computer Systems		408-524-8172