[news.newusers.questions] mailers and % addresses

tale@pawl.rpi.edu (David C Lawrence) (07/29/89)

The title of the article which started this, "questions", was about as
crummy as titles get except for "(none)".  We expect that almost every
original article in this group is going to be questions.

In <MELLON.89Jul27201850@zayante.pa.dec.com> mellon@zayante.pa.dec.com
(Ted Lemon) writes:
Ted> This means that mail to foo%bar@baz will go through the machine
Ted> foo on the way to bar where it will be delivered to the user baz.

Pretty good explanation overall, Ted, but this should be clarified as
it says it a bit wrong.  Mail to that address will go through baz on
its way to user foo on machine bar.  I rather suspect you just fumbled
here since you got it right later when you gave the example of
"mellon%nli.com@good-boy.com".

Note also that some sites (like ours) have problems with addresses of
the form "baz!bar!foo@uunet.uu.net".  We don't do any UUCP and our
mailer likes to puke all over ! anywhere in the path.

Dave
--
 (setq mail '("tale@pawl.rpi.edu" "tale@itsgw.rpi.edu" "tale@rpitsmts.bitnet"))

mellon@zayante.pa.dec.com (Ted Lemon) (07/29/89)

Oops.   Right you are.   Sorry for the screwup.   Bye the way, I think
it would be reasonable to claim that your mailer's broken if it can't
handle baz!bar!foo@uunet.uu.net.   My mailer can't handle it either,
and I know *I* consider it to be a bug.   I've been meaning to hack on
that sendmail.cf file for a while now...   At some point my
frustration level will exceed my lack of enthusiasm, and I'll do it...

			       _MelloN_