[news.newusers.questions] Back-Tracking Message IDs.

briand@infmx.UUCP (brian donat) (08/03/89)

Well, OK.

Let's say I see a reference to Message_ID:  <1965.UUCP@infmx> .

RN seems to have it's own sequential 'article number' method of
finding postings.

How would one convert the Message_ID into an article number, so
that one could refer to it directly with POSTNEWS or perhaps go
reread it with RN?   Is there a majic utility for this?

Brian Donat                    |
{pyramid|uunet}!infmx!briand   |
					     ^

		The morning after -----------'

laba-2kd@web-2f.berkeley.edu (kim dong hwan) (08/03/89)

In article <1985@infmx.UUCP> briand@infmx.UUCP (brian donat) writes:
>Let's say I see a reference to Message_ID:  <1965.UUCP@infmx> .
>
>RN seems to have it's own sequential 'article number' method of
>finding postings.
>
>How would one convert the Message_ID into an article number, so
>that one could refer to it directly with POSTNEWS or perhaps go
>reread it with RN?   Is there a majic utility for this?
>
>Brian Donat                    |

     	Different machines will have different article numbers for the
same article, as it depends on when the article is received. However, you
can use rn's pattern-search command. Typing "/Any Subject/" (leave out
the quotes) will search ahead for the next message with "Any Subject" as
part of its subject line. Appending 'h' will search the whole header, append-
ing 'r' will search already-read articles. Note that it *will* look for
fragments; e.g., if you are looking for articles on atheism, you can type
"/athe/" and any article with "atheism" or "atheists" in it will be shown.
(I'm unclear whether "fathead" would show up.) If you substitute "?" for
"/" it will search backwards.
	Thus, if you have the message ID, you can search backward for the
original message, if it has not yet expired. "?<1965.UUCP@infmx>?hr" would
be the appropriate command for your example. Once you're at the message you
can do anything you like.

                      David Goldfarb
(kim dong hwan is laba-2kd@web.berkeley.edu. I am not him; he lets me use
 his account to read news. Neither he nor the University of California
 is responsible for my opinions.)
Avon: 	"Tynus is my friend."
Vila:   "Really? I thought you might have a friend. I always used to say to
	 people, 'I bet Avon has a friend, somewhere in the galaxy.'"
Avon:	"And you were right. That must be a novel experience for you."
              -- Blake's Seven, "Killer"