[news.newusers.questions] anne.jones

greg@apcitor.tor.apollo.com (Greg Foisy) (07/18/89)

In article <43418@bbn.COM> mesard@BBN.COM (Wayne Mesard) writes:
>In article <TALE.89Jul27144615@imagine.pawl.rpi.edu> tale@pawl.rpi.edu writes:
>P.S.  I see this ":-)" a lot in mail messages on this bboard, what does
>it mean?

	This is a smiling face :-).

	This is a sad face :-(.

	There are about 100 more.

	Greg.
--
 One of the most overlooked advantages to computers is...  If they do foul up,
         there's no law against whacking them around a little.

	apollo computer, a workstation division of Hewlett-Packard
 +-------------------------------------------------------+---------------------+
 | UUCP: {yunexus lsuc ncrcan ontenv apcihq}!apcitor!greg| Greg Foisy          |
 | INTERNET: greg@tor.apollo.com                         | apollo (canada) ltd.|
 | CANPOST: 1530 Markham Road, Suite 130, Scarborough    | (416) 297-0700      |
 +-------------------------------------------------------+---------------------+

tale@pawl.rpi.edu (David C Lawrence) (07/28/89)

What is the significance of the name of this programme in the C News
distribution?
--
 (setq mail '("tale@pawl.rpi.edu" "tale@itsgw.rpi.edu" "tale@rpitsmts.bitnet"))

mesard@bbn.com (Wayne Mesard) (07/28/89)

In article <TALE.89Jul27144615@imagine.pawl.rpi.edu> tale@pawl.rpi.edu writes:
>What is the significance

No existential in a this group!

> of the name of this programme

No Brit spellings in this group!!

> in the C News distribution?

And NO source-related questions in this group!!!  Whatryatryin to do:
Intimidate the newusers?!

:-)

Wayne();

P.S.  I see this ":-)" a lot in mail messages on this bboard, what does
it mean?

P.P.S.  Can anyone tell me how to talk to my friend on his computer at
Carnegie Mellon?

P.P.P.S. :-)

--
unsigned *Wayne_Mesard();       "The piano has been drinking...not me"
Mesard@BBN.COM                                                -Tom Waits.

russ@bu-cs.BU.EDU (Russell Reynolds) (07/28/89)

In article <43418@bbn.COM> mesard@BBN.COM (Wayne Mesard) writes:

>:-)
>
>Wayne();
>
>P.S.  I see this ":-)" a lot in mail messages on this bboard, what does
>it mean?

	It's a sideways smiley face.  There are a lot of variations of
   this.  ;-) <--winking smiley face  :-( <--frowny face  :-{) <--smiley
   face with moustache  etc.

>P.P.S.  Can anyone tell me how to talk to my friend on his computer at
>Carnegie Mellon?

	If you don't know his mail address, send mail to postmaster@cs.cmu.edu
   giving your friend's full name and any other info that you think might
   help and ask for your friend's complete mailing address.  This is assuming
   that your friend goes to school there or is somehow associated with the
   computer science department.
     / Russ Reynolds  / russ@bu-it.bu.edu         / Life's a batch --   /
    / B.U. Info Tech / !harvard!bu-cs!bu-it!russ / Then you multitask  /
   /________________/___________________________/_____________________/

daybell@aludra.usc.edu (Donald Daybell) (07/28/89)

In article <43418@bbn.COM> mesard@BBN.COM (Wayne Mesard) writes:

>:-)
>
>Wayne();
>
>P.S.  I see this ":-)" a lot in mail messages on this bboard, what does
>it mean?

I can see that it is time for the uninitiated to be initated, the
unindoctrinated to be indoctrinated, the Great Unwashed Masses to become
Washed.

Here is the secret behind those maddening little symbols at the end of so many
lines.

The Unofficial Smilie Dictionary
--------------------------------

:-)   Your basic smilie. This smilie is used to inflect a sarcastic or
      joking statement since we can't hear voice inflection over Unix.
;-)   Winky smilie. User just made a flirtatious and/or sarcastic remark.
      More of a "don't hit me for what I just said" smilie.
:-(   Frowning smilie. User did not like that last statement or is upset
      or depressed about something.
:-I   Indifferent smilie. Better than a Frowning smilie but not quite as
      good as a happy smilie
:->   User just made a really biting sarcastic remark. Worse than a :-).
>:->  User just made a really devilish remark.
>;->  Winky and devil combined. A very lewd remark was just made.

Those are the basic ones...Here are some somewhat less common ones:

(-:   User is left handed
%-)   User has been staring at a green screen for 15 hours straight
:*)   User is drunk
[:]   User is a robot
8-)   User is wearing sunglasses
B:-)  Sunglasses on head
::-)  User wears normal glasses
B-)   User wears horn-rimmed glasses
8:-)  User is a little girl
:-)-8 User is a Big girl
:-{)  User has a mustache
:-{}  User wears lipstick
{:-)  User wears a toupee
}:-(  Toupee in an updraft
:-[   User is a Vampire
:-E   Bucktoothed vampire
:-F   Bucktoothed vampire with one tooth missing
:-7   User juust made a wry statement
:-*   User just ate something sour
:-)~  User drools
:-~)  User has a cold
:'-(  User is crying
:'-)  User is so happy, s/he is crying
:-@   User is screaming
:-#   User wears braces
:^)   User has a broken nose
:v)   User has a broken nose, but it's the other way
:_)   User's nose is sliding off of his face
:<)   User is from an Ivy League School
:-&   User is tongue tied.
=:-)  User is a hosehead
-:-)  User is a punk rocker
-:-(  (real punk rockers don't smile)
:=)   User has two noses
+-:-) User is the Pope or holds some other religious office
`:-)  User shaved one of his eyebrows off this morning
,:-)  Same thing...other side
|-I   User is asleep
|-O   User is yawning/snoring
:-Q   User is a smoker
:-?   User smokes a pipe
O-)   Megaton Man On Patrol!  (or else, user is a scuba diver)
O :-) User is an angel (at heart, at least)
:-P   Nyahhhh!
:-S   User just made an incoherent statement
:-D   User is laughing (at you!)
:-X   User's lips are sealed
:-C   User is really bummed
<|-)  User is Chinese
<|-(  User is Chinese and doesn't like these kind of jokes
:-/   User is skeptical
C=:-) User is a chef
@=    User is pro-nuclear war
*<:-) User is wearing a Santa Claus Hat
:-o   Uh oh!
(8-o  It's Mr. Bill!
*:o)  And Bozo the Clown!
3:]   Pet smilie
3:[   Mean Pet smilie
d8=   Your pet beaver is wearing goggles and a hard hat.
E-:-) User is a Ham radio operator
:-9   User is licking his/her lips
%-6   User is braindead
[:-)  User is wearing a walkman
(:I   User is an egghead
<:-I  User is a dunce
K:P   User is a little kid with a propeller beenie
@:-)  User is wearing a turban
:-0   No Yelling!  (Quiet Lab)
:-:   Mutant Smilie
      The invisible smilie
.-)   User only has one eye
,-)   Ditto...but he's winking
X-(   User just died
8 :-) User is a wizard
C=}>;*{))  Mega-Smilie... A drunk, devilish chef with a toupee in an updraft,
                          a mustache, and a double chin

Note: A lot of these can be typed without noses to make midget smilies.

:)  Midget smilie
:]  Gleep...a friendly midget smilie who will gladly be your friend
=)  Variation on a theme...
:} - What should we call these? (what?)
:) - Happy
:> - what?
:@ - what?
:D - Laughter
:I - Hmmm...
:( - Sad
:[ - Real Downer
:< - what?
:{ - what?
:O - Yelling
:C - what?
:Q - what?
:,( - Crying
[] - Hugs and
:* - Kisses
|I - Asleep
|^o -Snoring

  :-`	smiley spitting out its chewing tobacco
  :-1	smiley bland face
  :-!		"
  :-@	smiley face screaming
  :-#|	smiley face with bushy mustache
  :-$	smiley face with it's mouth wired shut
  :-%	smiley banker
  :-6	smiley after eating something sour
  :^)	smiley with pointy nose (righty)
  :-7	smiley after a wry statement
  8-)	smiley swimmer
  :-*	smiley after eating something bitter
  :-&	smiley which is tongue-tied
  :-0	smiley orator
	smiley invisible man
  (:-(	unsmiley frowning
  (:-)	smiley big-face
  ):-)		"
  ):-(  unsmiley big-face
  )8-)  scuba smiley big-face
  =:-)	smiley punk-rocker
  =:-(  (real punk rockers don't smile)
  +:-)	smiley priest
  :-q	smiley trying to touch its tongue to its nose
  :-e	disappointed smiley
  :-t	cross smiley
  :-i	semi-smiley
  :-o	smiley singing national anthem
  :-p	smiley sticking its tongue out (at you!)
  :-[	un-smiley blockhead
  :-]	smiley blockhead
  :-{	smiley variation on a theme
  :-}	ditto
  {:-)	smiley with its hair parted in the middle
  }:-)	above in an updraft
  :-a	lefty smilely touching tongue to nose
  :-s	smiley after a BIZARRE comment
  :-d	lefty smiley razzing you
  g-)	smiley with ponce-nez glasses
  :-j	left smiling smilely
  :-k	beats me, looks like something, tho.
  :-l	y. a. s.
  :-:	mutant smiley
  :-\	undecided smiley
  :-|	"have an ordinary day" smiley
  ;-)	winking smiley
  :-<	real sad smiley
  :->	y.a.s.
  :-z	y.a.c.s.
  :-x	"my lips are sealed" smiley
  :-c	bummed out smiley
  :-v	talking head smiley
  :v)	left-pointing nose smiley
  :-b	left-pointing tongue smiley
  :-/	lefty undecided smiley
  :-?	smilely smoking a pipe
  .-]	one-eyed smilely
  ,-}	wry and winking
  0-)	smiley cyclops (scuba diver?)
  :-=)	older smiley with mustache
  :u)	smiley with funny-looking left nose
  :n)	smiley with funny-looking right nose
  :<	midget unsmiley
  :>	midget smiley
  }:^#})  mega-smiley:  updrafted bushy-mustached pointy nosed smiley with
			a double-chin

:-)	ha ha			~~:-(	net.flame
|-)	hee hee			O |-)	net.religion
|-D	ho ho
:->	hey hey			8 :-I	net.unix-wizards
:-(	boo hoo			  X-(	net.suicide
:-I	hmm			E-:-I	net.ham-radio
:-O	uh oh			 >:-I	net.startrek
:-P	nyah nyah		 3:o[	net.pets
|-P	yuk

:-}	beard
:-{	mustache
:-#	braces
:-X	bow tie
:-Q	smoker
<:I	dunce
(:I	egghead
@:I	turban

8-)	glasses
B-)	horn-rims
8:-)	glasses on forehead
:-8(	condescending stare
;-)	wink
>:-<	mad

Drama :-(	Comedy :-)	Surpise :-o	Suspense 8-|

Male	:-	Female	>-
Birth	|-O	Death 8-#
Infinity	8

Hey, have fun with these.

[compiled by Kevin Johnson]

and of course, my personal favorite (mainly because I designed it)

|  |                                               \
|  |                                                \
|  |                                                 \
                                                       \
                                                        \
                                                         \

                    ___________________                   |

                                                         /
                                                        /
                                                       /
|  |                                                 /
|  |                                                /
|  |                                               /

The world's biggest smiley (sort of)

Make sure to use these little pals frequently, I get .02 cents royalty on each
one ;->  (see there's another .02!)

witzelsucht (vit'sel-zoocht) [Ger.]
"A mental condition characteristic of frontal lobe lesions and marked by
the making of poor jokes and puns and the telling of pointless stories, at
which the patient himself is intensely amused."

This isn't me!!  Honest, guys, this isn't me!!

Donald "Dice Freak" Daybell      daybell@aludra.usc.edu

zuhn@umn-cs.CS.UMN.EDU (david d [zoo] zuhn) (07/28/89)

In article <35419@bu-cs.BU.EDU> russ@bu-it.bu.edu (Russell Reynolds) writes:
>In article <43418@bbn.COM> mesard@BBN.COM (Wayne Mesard) writes:
>>P.P.S.  Can anyone tell me how to talk to my friend on his computer at
>>Carnegie Mellon?
>
>	If you don't know his mail address, send mail to postmaster@cs.cmu.edu
>   giving your friend's full name and any other info that you think might
>   help and ask for your friend's complete mailing address.  This is assuming
>   that your friend goes to school there or is somehow associated with the
>   computer science department.
>      ___________________________________________________________________
>     / Russ Reynolds  / russ@bu-it.bu.edu         / Life's a batch --   /
>    / B.U. Info Tech / !harvard!bu-cs!bu-it!russ / Then you multitask  /
>   /________________/___________________________/_____________________/

Actually, given the situationat CMU, mail to postmaster@andrew.cmu.edu
will be much better.  All students at CMU get andrew accounts, only grads
get cs accounts since cs is only grad.

Someone from CMU will be more knowledgable about this, I just work there
this summer (but read news from umn-cs).

David D "Zoo" Zuhn //    University of Minnesota      \\ Twin Cities
          Computer Science Systems Consultant, EE/CS 4-204
zuhn@umn-cs.cs.umn.edu,    zuhn@umn-cs.UUCP,   ..rutgers!umn-cs!zuhn

bill@twwells.com (T. William Wells) (07/28/89)

In article <TALE.89Jul27144615@imagine.pawl.rpi.edu> tale@pawl.rpi.edu writes:
: What is the significance of the name of this programme in the C News
: distribution?

The comments at the top of relay/sh/anne.jones say:

# anne.jones [file...] - censor headers: munge locally-generated headers in
#  files, enforce feeble attempts at Usenet security, generate lots of silly
#  headers.
# (after the notorious ring-leader of the Ontario Film and Video Review Board
# (nee Ontario Board of Censors), Ontario's very own Mrs. Mary Whitehouse.)

---
bill@twwells.com

lamy@ai.utoronto.ca (Jean-Francois Lamy) (07/28/89)

You somehow managed to miss the december 25 smiley:

o<|:-}}}}

p.s. anne.jones used to lead on Ontario Censor Board, or some such.  See the
     actual file (a shell script that munges news headers).

Jean-Francois Lamy               lamy@ai.utoronto.ca, uunet!ai.utoronto.ca!lamy
AI Group, Department of Computer Science, University of Toronto, Canada M5S 1A4

christ@forceps.Sun.COM (Robert G. Christ) (07/28/89)

In article <43418@bbn.COM> mesard@BBN.COM (Wayne Mesard) writes:

>P.S.  I see this ":-)" a lot in mail messages on this bboard, what does
>it mean?          ^^^ smiley face

the follow was copied from the rec.humor newsgroup.   if you
`new' users want to save it just do a `w filename'  anytime
NO don't type the `'s!  you also need a directory in you home
directory called `News'

A pig:

	:@)

A leper:

	: )

Jimmy Durante:

	:###)

Donald Trump:

	:$)

Carl Friedrich Gauss

	:+)

Peter Ubberoth:

	:~)

Jose Feliciano:

	 -)

Helen Keller:

	 -

Dolly Parton:

	:-)   8

John Holmes:

	:-)	   ---

Bon Jovi:

       ###
       #:-)
       ###

Ed Koch:

       #
        :-)
       #

Bozo the Clown:

       ###
        :o)
       ###

Siamese twins:

	(-::-)

An accountant:

	:%)

Sam Kinnison:

        :-)!!!

Wilt Chamberlin:

  :-)

Willie Shoemaker:

		:-)

a schizophrenic:

    *!#*!^*&:-)

a manic depressive:

	:-) ... :-( ... :-) ... :-( ....

Adolph Hitler:

	:-=)

Arnold Schwarznegger:

	:-)==

98-pound weakling:

	:-)--

Sammy Davis, Jr.:

	.-)

an innie (belly button):

	:-)	   .

an outie:

	:-)        ,

a slut:

	:-)     <

a celibate:

	:-)     >

a nymphomaniac:

	:-)     <    ...  :-)	  <   ...  :-)    <  ....

Lesbians:

	:-Q      <
          >      Q-:

A philosopher:

	:?)

John Q. Public:

	:Q)

Everyman:

	:*)

> [...]

|-)	hee hee			O |-)	net.religion

|-D	ho ho

:->	hey hey			8 :-I	net.unix-wizards

:-(	boo hoo			  X-(	net.suicide

:-I	hmm			E-:-I	net.ham-radio

:-O	uh oh			 >:-I	net.startrek

:-P	nyah nyah		 3:o[	net.pets

|-P	yuk

:-}	beard

:-{	mustache

:-#	braces

:-X	bow tie

:-Q	smoker

<:I	dunce

(:I	egghead

@:I	turban

8-)	glasses

B-)	horn-rims

8:-)	glasses on forehead

:-8(	condescending stare

;-)	wink

>:-<	mad

Drama :-(	Comedy :-)	Surpise :-o	Suspense 8-|

Marguerite Van Ness
ihlpf!aloha

dawyd@gargoyle.uchicago.edu (David Walton) (07/29/89)

In article <43418@bbn.COM> mesard@BBN.COM (Wayne Mesard) writes:

>P.S.  I see this ":-)" a lot in mail messages on this bboard, what does
>it mean?

If you look at it sideways, it's a smiley face.  Feel free to come
up with your own variations.  ;->

David Walton

gcook@gpu.utcs.utoronto.ca (Gord Cook) (08/02/89)

Here are a couple of "smilies" my friends and I came up with on a day when we
were bored.  You may need to look at them for a while before you get them :-)

o^<=	Young schoolgirl (not too young ;-> )
o>->	Happy man jumping for joy (oh, what a feeling!)

I just thought I'd submit them for your perusal.  You never know when one might
come in handy.

				TTYL,
					Gord.
[insert humourous quotation here]

jsdy@dtix.ARPA (Joseph S. D. Yao) (08/03/89)

In article <4533@merlin.usc.edu> daybell@aludra.usc.edu (Donald Daybell) writes:
>;-)   Winky smilie. User just made a flirtatious and/or sarcastic remark.
>      More of a "don't hit me for what I just said" smilie.
><|-)  User is Chinese
><|-(  User is Chinese and doesn't like these kind of jokes

I beg to differ.  We Chinese long ago declared that
	;-)
was the best we could do to show our national origin.

Actually, it suits me better, 'cause I'm 1/2 Chinese.  My mother came
from another foreign country, called California.  [;-)]