[news.newusers.questions] what is "IMHO"?

scott@tekcrl.LABS.TEK.COM (Scott Huddleston) (08/01/89)

I see "IMHO" used as an abbreviation (or acronym or ??) in Usenet
messages all the time.  What is it?
--
Scott Huddleston
testing the semantics of the ".signature" file

scott@tekcrl.LABS.TEK.COM (Scott Huddleston) (08/01/89)

IMHO means "In My Humble Opinion".

Perhaps it's silly to answer my own question, but that saves others
the effort of doing so.  And thanks to the poster of another message
in this group who spelled out IMHO, thus answering my question.
--

bdb@becker.UUCP (Bruce Becker) (08/01/89)

In article <4412@tekcrl.LABS.TEK.COM> scott@tekcrl.LABS.TEK.COM (Scott Huddleston) writes:
|I see "IMHO" used as an abbreviation (or acronym or ??) in Usenet
|messages all the time.  What is it?

	It May Hop Over
	I Might Have Orgasms
	Interference Must Happen Often
	In My Hasty Opinion

	BTW (guess what that means), "Distribution: usa"
	in the mail header isn't necessarily a good idea.
	Try "Distribution: world" since this news group
	will go everywhere...

Cheers,
--
   __	 Bruce Becker	Toronto, Ont.
w \cc/	 Internet: bdb@becker.UUCP, bruce@gpu.utcs.toronto.edu

edm@nwnexus.WA.COM (Ed Morin) (08/02/89)

scott@tekcrl.LABS.TEK.COM (Scott Huddleston) writes:

>IMHO means "In My Humble Opinion".

>Perhaps it's silly to answer my own question, but that saves others
>the effort of doing so.  And thanks to the poster of another message
>in this group who spelled out IMHO, thus answering my question.

I didn't know and (IMHO :-) appreciate you asking out loud...

--
Ed Morin
Northwest Nexus Inc.

slzr@GTE.COM (Suzanne Sluizer) (08/03/89)

In article <4413@tekcrl.LABS.TEK.COM> scott@tekcrl.LABS.TEK.COM (Scott Huddleston) writes:

>IMHO means "In My Humble Opinion".

According to one message that appears every so often in news.announce.newusers,
it also means "In My Honest Opinion".  (BTW, if you haven't read the messages
that appear in that group, do so.  They are full of interesting and useful
information.)

So take your pick.

--
Suzanne Sluizer                CSNET:  slzr%gte.com@RELAY.CS.NET
GTE Laboratories               UUCP:   ...!harvard!bunny!slzr

epsilon@wet.UUCP (Eric P. Scott) (08/03/89)

In article <694@becker.UUCP> bdb@becker.UUCP (Bruce Becker) writes:
>	BTW (guess what that means), "Distribution: usa"
>	in the mail header isn't necessarily a good idea.
>	Try "Distribution: world" since this news group
>	will go everywhere...

Thank you, Emily Postnews.
Please use the SMALLEST distribution available that reaches your
target audience.  Items of interest only to US readers (or autos
for sale in New Jersey, etc.) should not go to world!

					-=EPS=-

mesard@bbn.com (Wayne Mesard) (08/04/89)

In article <367@wet.UUCP> epsilon@wet.UUCP (Eric P. Scott) writes:
>In article <694@becker.UUCP> bdb@becker.UUCP (Bruce Becker) writes:
>>	BTW (guess what that means), "Distribution: usa"
>>	in the mail header isn't necessarily a good idea.
>>	Try "Distribution: world" since this news group
>>	will go everywhere...
>
>Please use the SMALLEST distribution available that reaches your
>target audience.  Items of interest only to US readers (or autos
>for sale in New Jersey, etc.) should not go to world!

Of course.  But the point that Eric was making (I think) is one that our
non-US net.neighbors are forever trying to get through our thick skulls:

            USA  does not equal  USENET

The "world" distribution is right for the vast majority of articles.
"For sale" posts, aricles about local-radio-show-X, etc. should receive
your regional distribution prefix.

The "usa" distribution (which excludes Canadian sites) is almost never
appropriate.

--
unsigned *Wayne_Mesard();       "We need your business, we're going out of
Mesard@BBN.COM                   business, we'll give you the business."

chris@psych.toronto.edu (Christine Hitchcock) (08/05/89)

In article <367@wet.UUCP> epsilon@wet.UUCP (Eric P. Scott) writes:
>In article <694@becker.UUCP> bdb@becker.UUCP (Bruce Becker) writes:
>>	BTW (guess what that means), "Distribution: usa"
>>	in the mail header isn't necessarily a good idea.
>>	Try "Distribution: world" since this news group
>>	will go everywhere...
>
>Thank you, Emily Postnews.
>Please use the SMALLEST distribution available that reaches your
>target audience.  Items of interest only to US readers (or autos
>for sale in New Jersey, etc.) should not go to world!
>
>					-=EPS=-

Mind you, I get annoyed because I miss postings in various groups which
everyone else is replying to.  I've been figuring that people are
distributing to usa, and leaving the great white north out :-(.

--
Chris Hitchcock, Dept. of Psychology |  chris@psych.toronto.edu
University of Toronto,               |  hitchcoc@vm.utcs.utoronto.ca