   From: poole@ut-emx.UUCP (Steve Poole)
   Subject: Re: kill files
   In article <2300@hp-sdd.hp.com> martya@hpsdl39.UUCP (Marty Albini) writes:

   >	I would like to spend less time sifting thru the flames and rubble
   >while looking for the good stuff. I've tried using KILL files like this:
   >
   >THRU nnnn
   >/^/j
   >/stuff_I_wanna_read/m

   Try this kill file:

   THRU nnnn
   /stuff_I_wanna_read/M

   After the kill file finishes, give the c command.  The c command will
   kill everything not marked with the M command.  After the c command
   finishes, all of the articles that your kill file marked with M will
   then return and be available for you to read.  And the c command will
   be a lot faster than junking each file seperately.

   I don't know why your kill file doesn't work.  I've had the same
   problem with that form of kill file.

Steve Poole's suggestion seems to almost work for me (the catch is
that the /stuff/M command reaches back and undeletes all "stuff"
articles... including those that have been read before, so I have to
quicky return to the group and to a second "c"... but immediately
after the first "c" it does indeed show exactly the new articles with
"stuff" in them).  However, I'd like to do something a bit more
elaborate.

Does anyone know how go one step further?  Suppose one would like, in
a given newsgroup, to see, each time one goes to the newsgroup, just
the NEW messages that contain in the title the string
"stuff_I_wanna_read" THAT DO NOT CONTAIN "Re:" in the title.

Is there a way to setup one's KILL file to do this???

THANKS!!!
Lane

--
  Lane A. Hemachandra               716-275-1203    University of Rochester
                           lane@cs.rochester.edu    Computer Science Department