[news.newusers.questions] Stupid Questions

mephdbo@prism.gatech.EDU (d. majumder) (08/04/89)

The way things are going our big brothers should probably
set up a scale of stupidity for humble users like us. If
you are at a very large site like this one you spend days if
not months trying to find out who the hell are the sysadmins
and they have more important tasks to handle than responding
to every damn question form every new user (quite a few of
them I can tell you).

Maybe the netgods can do us a favour by compiling a set of
most comon questions (including some stupid ones too) and
putting it out every other week or so. Then probably they
do not have to  get their eyes sore by staring at such
stupidity.

This is a good newsgroup and you can always use 'u' option.

Thanks

Deeptendu Majumder               | (404) 894 2262 (O)
Box 30963                        | (404) 892 6650 (H)
Georgia Institute of Technology, |
Atlanta Georgia,30332		 |
(---------------------------------------------------------------)
uucp: ...!{allegra,amd,hplabs,seismo,ut-ngp}!gatech!prism!mephdbo
ARPA: mephdbo@prism.gatech.edu
BITNET: meibmdm@gitvm2

epsilon@wet.UUCP (Eric P. Scott) (08/07/89)

In article <1356@hydra.gatech.EDU> mephdbo@prism.gatech.EDU
	(d. majumder) writes:
>The way things are going our big brothers should probably
>set up a scale of stupidity for humble users like us. If
>you are at a very large site like this one you spend days if
>not months trying to find out who the hell are the sysadmins
>and they have more important tasks to handle than responding
>to every damn question form every new user (quite a few of
>them I can tell you).

This has nothing to do with the size of your site.  It should be
someone's responsibility to field new user questions, and the new
users should figure out who and how within their first week of
employment.  You could even (gasp) ask your supervisor!

About your first comment--which I assume is meant to be
humorous--I was taught that there are four basic classes of
users:

Class I  = novice, Class II = learned enough to get around
comfortably, Class IV = wizard.  Class III?  Those are Class II
users that pretend to be Class IV users (sometimes even believe
they are, or are "sorcerer's apprentice" types--they know enough
to be dangerous).  Class IIIs are frequently seen posting
misinformation to n.n.q., or occupying middle-management
positions.
					-=EPS=-

mephdbo@prism.gatech.EDU (d. majumder) (08/07/89)

> This has nothing to do with the size of your site.  It should be
> someone's responsibility to field new user questions, and the new
> users should figure out who and how within their first week of

I also think the same but sometimes things do not work out as you want

> comfortably, Class IV = wizard.  Class III?  Those are Class II
> users that pretend to be Class IV users (sometimes even believe
> they are, or are "sorcerer's apprentice" types--they know enough
> to be dangerous).  Class IIIs are frequently seen posting
> misinformation to n.n.q., or occupying middle-management
> 					-=EPS=-

ha Ha I like the class III

deeptendu