[news.newusers.questions] Signature Solution!!!

timl@maxwell.Concordia.CA ( TIM LAPIN ) (08/03/89)

First, thank you to all who gave me the following tips.  As these are not
documented in man rn, it would have been impossible to append my .sig file
automatically without these hints.  As I have recieved a few requests for
said solution, here it is.

Here is how I did it:

1) 	Your .signature file must be in your *** HOME or ROOT *** directory.
2)	Your .signature file must have 644 permission (world has read).
3)	Your home directory must have 711 perm. at least (world has exe).
4)	Most new news programs only allow 4 lines or less for a signature.
		=> keep it 4 lines or less.

Note:    If the first line is text, e.g. your internet address, it may screw
up your system's mail handler. It did on mine.  Solution is to place a line
composed of say, minus signs or equal signs.  This solves the mailer problem
as well as adding a nice separator.

|Tim Lapin            |INTERNET: timl@maxwell.concordia.ca| Printed Opinions?|
|Computer Centre      |BITNET:   timl@vax2.concordia.ca   | Just the fax     |
|Concordia University |Tel:      (514) 848-7639           | ma'am.           |

mesard@bbn.com (Wayne Mesard) (08/07/89)

timl@maxwell.Concordia.Ca ( TIM LAPIN ) writes [about .signature files]:
>place a line
>composed of say, minus signs or equal signs.  This solves the mailer problem
>as well as adding a nice separator.

Actually, it's more specific than that.  The Right(tm) thing to do is
make the first line two dashes and a space.  So the start of your
signature in an article will be preceeded by the following five
characters:

    <Return> <dash> <dash> <Space> <Return>

Some people have their news software set up to skip the signatures at
the ends of articles.  [This is especially useful at low baud rates.]
Putting this five character sequence at the start of your signature is
an agreeded-upon way to tell other peoples' software that everything
after it is just signature stuff and not part of the article, proper.
Pretty considerate, dontchathink?

--
unsigned *Wayne_Mesard();       "We need your business, we're going out of
Mesard@BBN.COM                   business, we'll give you the business."