[news.newusers.questions] why all the disclaimers?

roberts@polya.Stanford.EDU (Paul Roberts) (08/01/89)

Why does everyone feel the need to put in all these disclaimers?  - "my
opinions, not those of the US government, blah blah blah". Does anyone
suppose that anyone might suppose that newsgroup ramblings might amount to
official policy statements by organisations? Has anyone gotten into trouble
in the past over this sort of thing? Enquiring minds want to know.

Paul		roberts@polya.stanford.edu

tneff@bfmny0.UUCP (Tom Neff) (08/01/89)

In article <11007@polya.Stanford.EDU> roberts@Polya.Stanford.EDU (Paul Roberts) writes:
>Why does everyone feel the need to put in all these disclaimers?

A lot of news posters work for companies and agencies, who also foot the
Net bills.  The disclaimers make it clear that what's being posted is
private opinion and not company policy, so no "NASA Thinks Hoffa's Body
Lies in Grant's Tomb" headlines need appear. :-)
--
"We walked on the moon --	((	Tom Neff
	you be polite"		 )) 	tneff@bfmny0.UU.NET

gors@well.UUCP (Gordon Stewart) (08/02/89)

my net postings -- from my boss, yes.

My situation was a bit atypical -- I was a full-time contractor, so it could
be said that I didn't have the same rights as employees, but ....

First, DESPITE my disclaimer that my opinions were my own, the mere association
of the institution (in the Header, and the return address) with my ramblings
was "raising some eyebrows".

This ex-Air Force Toady wouldn't say WHOSE eyebrows were raised.  Typical GI
fashion.

In general, many net participants have access to the net as a result of their
affiliation with Universities or Research Institutes or places like Xerox PARC.
While it may appear obvious that one's opinions are one's own, the disclaimer
is also an acknowledgement of the institution's patronage.

In case you're wondering, the repressive place I worked was a joint venture
research corp, headed by former spooks from the NSA! I would mention the name
solely for the purposes of slandering the bozo who told me to "shaddup", but
they won't get publicity at MY expense!

--
				{apple, pacbell, hplabs, ucbvax}!well!gors
							gors@well.sf.ca.us

thomas@mvac23.UUCP (Thomas Lapp) (08/05/89)

> Why does everyone feel the need to put in all these disclaimers?  - "my
> opinions, not those of the US government, blah blah blah". Does anyone
> suppose that anyone might suppose that newsgroup ramblings might amount to
> official policy statements by organisations? Has anyone gotten into trouble
> in the past over this sort of thing? Enquiring minds want to know.

One reason is so that people reading the message know what relationship, if
any, the poster and his opinions relate to his/her organization.  There are
several newsgroups which do post "official" information such as product
announcements and job postings.  You want to know if these people are just
posting something they read on a company bulletin board somewhere or whether
they really are the spokesperson for a product/idea/job.

Also, if you talk about a product or service, it is kind to let people know
if you are affiliated with that product or service so that they know if the
posting may contain "bias" or not.
                         - tom
Internet: mvac23!thomas@udel.edu                     | Why wait for something
          or                                         | to happen, when, by
          mvac23%thomas@udel.edu                     | exercising the rights
uucp: {ucbvax,mcvax,psuvax1,uunet}!udel!mvac23!thomas| you have, you can MAKE
Location: Newark, DE, USA                            | it happen?

eugene@eos.UUCP (Eugene Miya) (08/08/89)

I can tell you a story from personal experience.

I made a comment once, something of the order:
	"There are more important things riding on XXX than YYY."
This comment went from my machine, to a machine at another site where
people read it, forwarded it to home offices, which noted a comment
to Washington DC, which had two Division chiefs come to my office and say:
	"What did you do?"
Fortunately, author_copy was printed out, my Divison chief said,
	"Oh, (whew!) that's harmless."
Needless to say people were pissed.  Nothing was compromised.  No statements
of policy were released.

If you want take a moment to think about implications of the Net.  I think
it was Bill Tuthill who wrote an article on the Usenet for Unix Review.
Back a year or two.
There was a special section entitled "Industrial Espionage."  You
can do it.  You just have to read carefully between the lines.  Most posters
are filters and sieves for getting information.  I am also aware of at least
one deliberate attempt at disinformation.  It's not what we tell you,
it's what we don't tell you.  The net is a much less freer place than
6 years ago.

Another gross generalization from

--eugene miya, NASA Ames Research Center, eugene@aurora.arc.nasa.gov
  resident cynic at the Rock of Ages Home for Retired Hackers:
  "If my mail does not reach you, please accept my apology."
  {ncar,decwrl,hplabs,uunet}!ames!eugene
  				Live free or die.