[news.newusers.questions] C question

chguest@pioneer.arc.nasa.gov (Charles J. Guest) (08/02/89)

Everybody in my class has been teasing me because I don't know who
Dennis Richly is.  He supposed to be a big programmer or something.

Help?

evan@plx.UUCP (Evan Bigall) (08/06/89)

In article <4615@eos.UUCP> chguest@pioneer.arc.nasa.gov.UUCP (C. J. Guest) writes:
>Everybody in my class has been teasing me because I don't know who
>Dennis Richly is.  He supposed to be a big programmer or something.

He is the R in K&R (thin white book with blue writing on the cover.  You have
probably seen you classmates carrying it).
He also occasionally posts to this group.

/Evan

--
Evan Bigall, Plexus Computers, San Jose, CA (408)943-2283 ...!sun!plx!evan
"I barely have the authority to speak for myself, certainly not anybody else"

perand@ttds.UUCP (Per Andersson) (08/06/89)

In article <4615@eos.UUCP> chguest@pioneer.arc.nasa.gov.UUCP (C. J. Guest) writes:
>Everybody in my class has been teasing me because I don't know who
>Dennis Richly is.  He supposed to be a big programmer or something.
>
>Help?

Well Dennis Richly I've never heard about. Who he ??? :-)
Anyway, you're referring to Dennis Ritchie, the implementor of
the C programming language, and co-worker on the design of the
UNIX operating system. Now you know the basics !

--
Per Andersson
Royal Institute of Technology, Stockholm, Sweden

pjh@mccc.UUCP (Pete Holsberg) (08/07/89)

In article <4615@eos.UUCP> chguest@pioneer.arc.nasa.gov.UUCP (C. J. Guest) writes:
=Everybody in my class has been teasing me because I don't know who
=Dennis Richly is.  He supposed to be a big programmer or something.
=
=Help?

Naw, he's 5'8", 145 pounds.

--
Pete Holsberg -- Mercer College -- Trenton, NJ 08690
...!rutgers!princeton!njsmu!mccc!pjh

davidc@vlsisj.VLSI.COM (David Chapman) (08/08/89)

In article <4615@eos.UUCP> chguest@pioneer.arc.nasa.gov.UUCP (C. J. Guest) writes:
>Everybody in my class has been teasing me because I don't know who
>Dennis Richly is.  He supposed to be a big programmer or something.
>
>Help?

Dennis Ritchie is one of the two programmers who defined the C language
(the original, definitive book on C was co-authored with Brian Kernighan,
hence the references to "K&R" C).  Along with Ken Thompson he designed
UNIX.

That's why he's famous.
--
		David Chapman

{known world}!decwrl!vlsisj!fndry!davidc
vlsisj!fndry!davidc@decwrl.dec.com