[news.newusers.questions] What is dial-up-able

logajan@ns.network.com (John Logajan) (08/08/89)

This might be a bit to technical for this group, but I've always wanted
to know.  I know that uucp transported news can be handled over dial-up
modems (I even wrote a BASIC language uucp clone) but I don't know how
those high speed direct connect internet links work.

I've just heard from a guy looking to hook his VMS system into the net.
He mentioned a software package from Carnegie/Mellen that interfaced
VMS to TCP/IP?  He wanted to know what else he needed to get news to
his VMS machine, like a modem? a direct connect line?  I didn't know
what to tell him.

thanks.

--
- John M. Logajan @ Network Systems; 7600 Boone Ave; Brooklyn Park, MN 55428  -
- logajan@ns.network.com / ...rutgers!umn-cs!ns!logajan / john@logajan.mn.org -

lum@armadillo.cis.ohio-state.edu (Lum Johnson) (08/09/89)

In article <1531@ns.network.com> logajan@ns.network.com (John Logajan) writes:
> I know that uucp transported news can be handled over dial-up modems, ..
> but I don't know how those high speed direct connect internet links work.

The protocols used on the Internet belong to a family known as TCP/IP
(Transmission Control Protocol/Internet Protocol).  These include FTP
(File Transfer Protocol), SMTP (Simple Mail Transfer Protocol), TELNET
(remote terminal emulation), etc.  They can run over any physical
transport (which is fast enough), but in practice they are usually run
over Ethernet or something similar.  They are documented by the RFCs,
ie, the `rfc:rfc####.txt' files (`####' are one to four numerals) at
`nic.ddn.mil' (nee `sri-nic.arpa'), available by anonymous FTP.  They
are also `~ftp/pub/archives/rfc/*' at `cheops.cis.ohio-state.edu',
available by anonymous FTP and anonymous UUCP.  You should start with
`rfc-index.txt' (a cumulative list of all RFCs which includes notes as
to what has been obsoleted and by what, and so on) and `rfc1000.txt',
(the _Request For Comments Reference Guide_ by Reynolds & Postel).

If you cannot find them closer at hand, you may also want to get
`rfc:hedrick-intro.txt' and `rfc:hedrick-mgmt.txt' (approximately
90000 and 145000 characters respectively) from
`osu-20.ircc.ohio-state.edu' by anonymous FTP.  (Note that this is a
TOPS-20 rather than a UNIX host.)

Then you may want to ask some more specific questions on either of
`comp.protocols.tcp-ip' or `comp.protocols.tcp-ip.domains', depending
on whether the protocols or the domain system is puzzling you more.

> I've just heard from a guy looking to hook his VMS system into the net.
> He mentioned a software package from Carnegie/Mellen that interfaced
> VMS to TCP/IP?  He wanted to know what else he needed to get news to
> his VMS machine, like a modem? a direct connect line?  I didn't know
> what to tell him.

He should get in touch with the people on the `news.software.anu-news'
newsgroup, or their mailing-list if they have one.  They apparently
have a newsreader that works for VMS, and a bunch of supporting
software for it.

Lum
-=-
--
Lum Johnson      lum@cis.ohio-state.edu      lum@osu-20.ircc.ohio-state.edu
"You got it kid -- the large print giveth and the small print taketh away."

epsilon@wet.UUCP (Eric P. Scott) (08/12/89)

In article <1531@ns.network.com> logajan@ns.network.com (John Logajan) writes:
>This might be a bit to technical for this group, but I've always wanted
>to know.  I know that uucp transported news can be handled over dial-up
>modems (I even wrote a BASIC language uucp clone) but I don't know how
>those high speed direct connect internet links work.
>
>I've just heard from a guy looking to hook his VMS system into the net.
>He mentioned a software package from Carnegie/Mellen that interfaced
>VMS to TCP/IP?  He wanted to know what else he needed to get news to
>his VMS machine, like a modem? a direct connect line?  I didn't know
>what to tell him.

"USENET is not UUCP" (repeat ad nauseum)
USENET depends on something else for transport.  What else?
Anything that works.   For VAX/VMS this usually means DECNET or
TCP/IP, but is by no means limited to these.  There are uucp
implementations for VMS.  What really matters is that you have
some way of getting a news feed (i.e. you can both speak a common
protocol).

The Internet is a wonderful thing... if you can afford it.  The
University down the street has to fork over $40,000 to join
BARRNET.  Of course this serves hundreds of machines...
There's a reason why "the Telebit alternative" is so popular.

There are a number of TCP/IP implementations available for
VAX/VMS.  A complete list is available from the DDN Network
Information Center (800) 235-3155, or FTPable from NIC.DDN.MIL
as NETINFO:VENDORS-GUIDE.TXT  (huge! it includes everything in
the known universe.)

Oh yeah... check out ANU-NEWS for VAX/VMS (you may want to wait
for 5.9 though).
					-=EPS=-