[news.newusers.questions] Reply To field in rn

mbn@fpssun.fps.com (Mike Northam ext 2651) (08/10/89)

You will note that my "Reply-To:" field (which gets invoked with
'r'eply and 'f'ollowup from rn) appears to be inappropriate for the
world outside my company.  sns4 is a Sun file server (which I rlogin
to to access the news.)  I presume that anyone doing an 'r'
to one of my articles will never reach me.  Am I off base
here?

I have tried RTFM, but I'm not enough of a Unix hacker to see how to
fix this.  Local help has not been available thus far.  How do I change
the contents of %H (hostname variable) to fpssun.fps.com (the name of
our domain in the usenet maps?  Or maybe this isn't the right way to
address this issue at all?

Thanks in advance.

--
Mike Northam             mbn@fpssun.fps.com          Home:123 13'W   45 37.5'N
(503) 641-3151 x2651     {tektronix}!nosun!fpssun!mbn

chip@vector.Dallas.TX.US (Chip Rosenthal) (08/11/89)

mbn@sns4.UUCP (Mike Northam ext 2651) writes:
>[Re: rn's insistance on .UUCP]
>How do I change the contents of %H (hostname variable) to fpssun.fps.com
>(the name of our domain in the usenet maps?  Or maybe this isn't the right
>way to address this issue at all?

The latter.

It's just rn's way of showing it's age a bit.  The .UUCP is hardcoded into
a bunch of places -- it is not programmable.  The approach most folks use
is to grep the rn sources for all instances of .UUCP and manual change it.

I've done a hack to "rn" which adds a DOMAINNAME parameter and a "%k"
interpolation.  Drop me a line if you want these patches.
--
Chip Rosenthal / chip@vector.Dallas.TX.US / Dallas Semiconductor / 214-450-5337
"I wish you'd put that starvation box down and go to bed" - Albert Collins' Mom

tale@pawl.rpi.edu (David C Lawrence) (08/12/89)

In <544@sns4.fpssun.fps.com> mbn@fpssun.fps.com (Mike Northam) asked
about setting the Reply-To: field automatically while using rn.  I
tried to reply by mail by neither fpssun.fps.com nor fps.com was found
for mailer TCP.

The way that I did it way back when I was using rn was to simply set
NEWSHEADER and MAILHEADER in my .rninit to be what I wanted.  The nice
side effect is this is that I could then also tell it not to show me
blank fields that I would virtually never fill in, like Sender: or
Expires:.  See the rn manual page for more information on setting
these variables.

Dave
--
 (setq mail '("tale@pawl.rpi.edu" "tale@itsgw.rpi.edu" "tale@rpitsmts.bitnet"))

epsilon@wet.UUCP (Eric P. Scott) (08/12/89)

In article <544@sns4.fpssun.fps.com> mbn@sns4.UUCP
	(Mike Northam ext 2651) writes:
>I have tried RTFM, but I'm not enough of a Unix hacker to see how to
>fix this.  Local help has not been available thus far.  How do I change
>the contents of %H (hostname variable) to fpssun.fps.com (the name of
>our domain in the usenet maps?  Or maybe this isn't the right way to
>address this issue at all?

Recompile rn with the "proper" configuration options.  You don't
need to be a programming wiz, but you do need the source available.

					-=EPS=-

wisner@mica.Berkeley.EDU (Bill Wisner) (08/12/89)

>The way that I did it way back when I was using rn was to simply set
>NEWSHEADER and MAILHEADER in my .rninit to be what I wanted.

Note that this only works for articles (and mail messages) posted from
within rn. If you use Pnews your article will still contain the brain-dead
old Reply-To: line.

Get Chip Rosenthal's rn hacks. They'll work fine. (I implemented a virtually
identical hack independently and probably still have it sitting around
somewhere.)

Bill Wisner		wisner@mica.berkeley.edu	     ucbvax!mica!wisner
It could have been worse. I could have been a Republican.

chip@vector.Dallas.TX.US (Chip Rosenthal) (08/13/89)

In article <408@wet.UUCP> epsilon@wet.UUCP (Eric P. Scott) writes:
>Recompile rn with the "proper" configuration options.

This is incorrect.  The domain is not a configuration option in "rn" -- it
is hardwired.  Thus you either need to re-hardwire it or hack "rn" to
make it configurable.