[news.newusers.questions] cross posting

timl@maxwell.Concordia.CA ( TIM LAPIN ) (08/03/89)

Simple question:
	How do you cross post?

I did it accidentally once, but I don't remember how.

Thanks.
|Tim Lapin            |INTERNET: timl@maxwell.concordia.ca| Printed Opinions?|
|Computer Centre      |BITNET:   timl@vax2.concordia.ca   | Just the fax     |
|Concordia University |Tel:      (514) 848-7639           | ma'am.           |

bnews@nixpbe.UUCP (Martin Boening) (08/09/89)

timl@maxwell.Concordia.CA ( TIM LAPIN ) writes:

>Simple question:
>	How do you cross post?

Simple answer. You don't, if it isn't absolutely necessary. If it is
necessary, just specify a list of newsgroups in the Newsgroups. line.
Postnews will take care of that for you, by prompting for newsgroups
with a '>' prompt until you answer that with a simple carriage return
(meaning 'end-of-list'). All the newsgroups you specified will get
crossposted to. I think the first one is the group to contain the
actual article, all the others only get links. If you use a newsreader
that doesn't give you the chance to specify a bunch of newsgroups,
you can always edit the header when in the editor. Edit the line
'Newsgroups.' to contain a list of all groups you want to post to.
I think the list is space separated but don't nail me on that one.

So, I hope this answers your question.

Martin
--
Martin Boening
Email:

esker@abaa.uucp (Lawrence Esker) (08/12/89)

In article <1055@clyde.Concordia.CA> timl@maxwell.Concordia.Ca ( TIM LAPIN ) writes:
>Simple question:
>	How do you cross post?
>
>I did it accidentally once, but I don't remember how.
>
>Thanks.

Simple answer.

The NewsGroups: header line contain a comma separated list of all the
newsgroups to cross post to.  When editing your post, just change this line.

As an example, I changed the newsgroup line of your message to:

        Newsgroups: news.newusers.questions,misc.test

to cross post to 'misc.test'.  Hopefully, *IF* anyone reads that group, they
won't be offended :-)
--
---------- Lawrence W. Esker ----------  Modern Amish: Thou shalt not need any
\  *        *             *  *******  /  computer that is not IBM compatible.

edhew@xenitec.uucp (Ed Hew) (08/13/89)

In article <424@nixpbe.UUCP> bnews@nixpbe.UUCP (Martin Boening) writes:
>timl@maxwell.Concordia.CA ( TIM LAPIN ) writes:
>
>>Simple question:
>>	How do you cross post?
>
>Simple answer. You don't, if it isn't absolutely necessary.

I like that !! 		:-)

>'Newsgroups.' to contain a list of all groups you want to post to.
>I think the list is space separated but don't nail me on that one.

Some chunks of software want to see a ',' as a deliminator, but not
all.   The user should contact his/her sysadmin on that one.  It
depends on how they compiled their version of 'news'.

>Martin Boening
>USA:  uunet!linus!nixbur!mboening.pad

  Ed. A. Hew       Authorized Technical Trainer        Xeni/Con Corporation
  work:  edhew@xenicon.uucp	 -or-	 ..!{uunet!}utai!lsuc!xenicon!edhew
->home:	 edhew@egvideo.uucp	 -or-	   ..!{uunet!}watmath!egvideo!edhew
->home:	 changing to:  edhew@xenitec.uucp     [but be patient for new maps]
  # I haven't lost my mind, it's backed up on floppy around here somewhere!

esker@abaa.uucp (Lawrence Esker) (08/15/89)

In article <424@nixpbe.UUCP> bnews@nixpbe.UUCP (Martin Boening) writes:
>timl@maxwell.Concordia.CA ( TIM LAPIN ) writes:
>
>>Simple question:
>>	How do you cross post?
>
>Simple answer. You don't, if it isn't absolutely necessary. If it is
>necessary, just specify a list of newsgroups in the Newsgroups. line.

And why not?  If a topic relates to more than one subject, it should be cross
posted.  It does not use extra bandwidth.  It invites both sides of an issue
to interact instead of all these one sided slams that we get.  This is a
public network, not a group of independent newsgroup cliques.

For example discussion of minix on the Amiga would go into comp.os.minix and
comp.sys.amiga.  A presentation on the modern social behavior of men and
women in the 1990's as it effect the nuclear family would go into
soc.singles, soc.men, and soc.wowem.  The newsreader prevents a user from
seeing an issue more than once if he/she happens to subscribe to more than
one newsgroup in the cross post.

Addmitidly, some do get carried away and cross post to groups that have no
relationship to the topic under discussion.  It would be very rude to cross
post an article praising the merits of the Amiga to comp.os.vms, comp.sys.mac,
comp.sys.ibm-pc, etc., etc.  Especially if it is one sided opinion without
any factual or technical mention of the machines cross posted to.

>I think the list is space separated but don't nail me on that one.

(Comma separated, not space.  Sorry, just a little tack :-) )

>Martin

Lawrence W. Esker
Definition: FROWN, a smile with a hangover.

charleen@zodiac.ADS.COM (Charleen Bunjiovianna) (08/17/89)

In article <1202@abaa.UUCP> esker@mars.UUCP (Lawrence Esker) writes:
>In article <424@nixpbe.UUCP> bnews@nixpbe.UUCP (Martin Boening) writes:
>>timl@maxwell.Concordia.CA ( TIM LAPIN ) writes:
>>
>>>Simple question:
>>>	How do you cross post?
>>
>>Simple answer. You don't, if it isn't absolutely necessary. If it is
>>necessary, just specify a list of newsgroups in the Newsgroups. line.
>
>And why not?  If a topic relates to more than one subject, it should be cross
>posted.  It does not use extra bandwidth.  It invites both sides of an issue
>to interact instead of all these one sided slams that we get.  This is a
>public network, not a group of independent newsgroup cliques.
>
>For example discussion of minix on the Amiga would go into comp.os.minix and
>comp.sys.amiga.  A presentation on the modern social behavior of men and
>women in the 1990's as it effect the nuclear family would go into
>soc.singles, soc.men, and soc.wowem.

You forgot soc.couples, soc.feminism, soc.motss, and
soc.partridge.in.a.pear.tree.  I'm sure *they'll* all be interested in
this fascinating but vague hypothetical discussion of yours.  But admit
it: you don't read the soc.* groups much, do you?

Newusers:  pay no attention to the man behind the curtain.

Any discussion, such as the one Mr. Esker suggests, that is so
unfocussed as to fall under the guidelines of a number of soc.* groups
is likely to be pointless.  Better to focus on a subset of the issues.
You'll get more meaningful dialogue and annoy fewer people that way.

There are very few articles that are acutely pertinent to more than one
newsgroup, and if you think yours is, you're probably wrong.  If you
need help determining which newsgroup to post to, try the lists in
news.announce.newusers.

Charleen

..if you take this interpretation to mean that I support
discrimination of stupid people -- you're absolutely right.  They've
got too many rights already.         -- Matthew W. Daly

davr@hrtix.UUCP (David C. Raines) (08/17/89)

>In article <1202@abaa.UUCP>, esker@abaa.uucp (Lawrence Esker) writes:

>> >Simple answer. You don't, if it isn't absolutely necessary. If it is
>> >necessary, just specify a list of newsgroups in the Newsgroups. line.

Lawrence replies:

>> soc.singles, soc.men, and soc.wowem.  The newsreader prevents a user from
>> seeing an issue more than once if he/she happens to subscribe to more than
>> one newsgroup in the cross post.

I,m a new news user, so maybe I,ve done something wrong in installing
the software,   but when articles are cross-posted I see them in every group
they are cross-posted to.  I am using vnews (the same thing happens in readnews)
If I can fix this, can someone tell me how?

--
--					TCA
David Raines				5 National Dr.

carl@aoa.UUCP (Carl Witthoft) (08/18/89)

In article <1202@abaa.UUCP> esker@mars.UUCP (Lawrence Esker) writes:
>In article <424@nixpbe.UUCP> bnews@nixpbe.UUCP (Martin Boening) writes:
>>timl@maxwell.Concordia.CA ( TIM LAPIN ) writes:
>>>	How do you cross post?
>>Simple answer. You don't, if it isn't absolutely necessary. If it is
>And why not?  If a topic relates to more than one subject, it should be cross
>posted.  It does not use extra bandwidth.  It invites both sides of an issue
>to interact instead of all these one sided slams that we get.  This is a
>public network, not a group of independent newsgroup cliques.
Two problems: the main one is that NO-ONE EVER looks at the post
list when following up, so that followups go all over the newsgroups
forever and ever.  This is especially bad when talk.bizarre is
one of the groups... you never get the garbage out of the other
groups.  In general, mixing sci.* and/or misc.* with any soc.*
tends to mix rational ( you hope :=( ), personal, and outrageous
flammatory stuff into a useless pile of noise.  Personnaly, I'd vote
for a mod to rn which makes the default Followup-to line contain
ONLY the group  presently being read, so that it takes active
effort to inundate all the other groups with responses.

Oh, yes, the other problem: cross-posts to 75 groups because the poster
either isn't sure what group is appropriate or wants to be sure that
EVERYONE who might care gets to read his words of wonder.

--
Alix' Dad ( Carl Witthoft @ Adaptive Optics Associates)
{harvard,ima}!bbn!aoa!carl

tarvaine@tukki.jyu.fi (Tapani Tarvainen) (08/21/89)

In article <880@aoa.UUCP> carl@aoa (Carl Witthoft) writes:

>[...] NO-ONE EVER looks at the post
>list when following up, so that followups go all over the newsgroups
>forever and ever.

I would recommend that whenever you cross post, for whatever reason,
ALWAYS put one, exactly one, of the groups to the Followup-to line.

>  Personnaly, I'd vote
>for a mod to rn which makes the default Followup-to line contain
>ONLY the group  presently being read, so that it takes active
>effort to inundate all the other groups with responses.

But then the discussion would be scattered around (depending on
the order in which each reads the groups).  How about using the
first of the groups listed?
--
Tapani Tarvainen    (tarvaine@tukki.jyu.fi, tarvainen@finjyu.bitnet)