[news.newusers.questions] Enough is enough

jarvis@northstar.dartmouth.edu (Mark Alexander Robinson) (08/19/89)

(This message is not directed to those individuals who offered advice in a
helpful and polite manner.  To those individuals:  thank you again!)

I will not be posting to or reading news.newusers.questions anymore.  This may
not be considered a great loss to anyone; it is certainly no loss to me.

In the past week, I have been flamed unnecessarily, both through net mail and
through the news system, for asking what I considered a very valid question,
and which no one seems to have a specific answer for.

If I cannot get a rational answer to a simple question, why bother asking?

(Notice that, so certain UNIX gods who get pissed off at spendthrift undergrads
won't throw a gear, I am using a VERY short signature.)

--
Mark A. Robinson

dente@els.uucp (Colin Dente) (08/21/89)

In article <15113@dartvax.Dartmouth.EDU> jarvis@northstar.dartmouth.edu (Mark Alexander Robinson) writes:
>I will not be posting to or reading news.newusers.questions anymore.  This may
>not be considered a great loss to anyone; it is certainly no loss to me.
>
>In the past week, I have been flamed unnecessarily, both through net mail and
>through the news system, for asking what I considered a very valid question,
>and which no one seems to have a specific answer for.

Right shitheads - you've done it now - thanks to your highly useful
contributions to this group in the form of flames, both public, and
(apparently) private you have succeeded in scaring off our first reader.

REMEMBER - this group is the place for new users (and, for that matter, old
users) to come to ask questions.  If you can give a reasonable,
informed reply to a question, then by all means post it; if you just
feel like exercising your ego by flaming some poor innocent - then
just fuck off will you?

At the moment, I'm archiving every posting to this group in order to
compile the 'list of commonly asked questions' at some time in the
future.  Of the 76 articles in my archive, 17 are about .signature
files, and a high proportion of them are flames.  THIS IS ENOUGH.

I would NOT want to see n.n.q become a moderated group for many
reasons, but unless we cut the flames, it's going to have to happen if
the group is to remain useful.

>If I cannot get a rational answer to a simple question, why bother asking?

Says it all, really.

If you're here to ask a question, fine.
If you're here to give a rational answer, fine.
If you're here to flame.... well, I've used enough obscenities in this
article already.

 Colin Dente                      | JANET: dente@uk.ac.man.ee.els
 Dept. of Electrical Engineering  | ARPA:  dente@els.ee.man.ac.uk
 University of Manchester         | UUCP:  ...!mcvax!ukc!man.ee.els!dente
 England                          | These might work now, but then again...

cosell@bbn.com (Bernie Cosell) (08/21/89)

}>
}
}Right shitheads - you've done it now - thanks to your highly useful
}contributions to this group in the form of flames, both public, and
}(apparently) private you have succeeded in scaring off our first reader.
}
}REMEMBER - this group is the place for new users (and, for that matter, old
}users) to come to ask questions.  If you can give a reasonable,
}informed reply to a question, then by all means post it; if you just
}feel like exercising your ego by flaming some poor innocent - then
}just fuck off will you?

On the other hand, what more important lesson for a new user to learn?
Human nature is what it is, and if only a tiny percentage of usenetters
are @ssholes, that percentage times the size of the net (did someone
recently estimate that we're getting on to a million?) means that there
is LOTS of crap waiting to flow with the least provocation.

This is hardly the most uncivil of the newsgroups, and as our newusers
will quickly discover, there is no place to hide: they can retreat from
n.n.q, but the flame throwers are not so easily hidden from and will
dog them whereever they dare to post.  Aside from strictly technical
questions (for which, the newuser will discover, you can be flamed just
for ASKING, also... flamers know no bounds!), if newusers learn NOTHING
more from n.n.q than that there are a LOT of socially maladjusted
cretins out there, and, of course, that there are also a fair number of
good folk, and you have to balance (and learn to defend yourself) this
group will be a roaring success.

  /Bernie\

emv@math.lsa.umich.edu (Edward Vielmetti) (08/21/89)

news.newusers.questions?

oh yeah, that's the group about .signature files.

--Ed

rec@elf115.uu.net (Roger Critchlow) (08/21/89)

In article <6457@ux.cs.man.ac.uk>, dente@els.uucp (Colin Dente) writes:
> At the moment, I'm archiving every posting to this group in order to
> compile the 'list of commonly asked questions' at some time in the
> future.  Of the 76 articles in my archive, 17 are about .signature
> files, and a high proportion of them are flames.  THIS IS ENOUGH.

Given that certain flame wars seem almost as regular as the phases
of the moon, a 'list of commonly flamed questions' might be appro-
priate, too.  The battle of .sig didn't start here and it won't end
here.  And there are other recurrent hostilities which new users could
be warned away from.

BTW, the usual 'commonly asked' article format is well intentioned
but seems more intended for hard copy perusal than USENET.  Why not
post each commonly asked question with answer as a separate article
on a rotating schedule so that each article gets renewed every few
weeks?  Then new users could scan for their burning question with
their newsreader rather than eye-grepping through the usual non-
digest format digest which these tips usually arrive in.

-- rec --