[news.newusers.questions] Culling from subject line listings in rn.

tony@yunexus.UUCP (Tony Wallis) (08/10/89)

I'm in rn, and it says
      "*** 666 unread articles in alt.sox -- read now? [ynq]"
and let's say I'm going to pick out maybe 10 of those to read from the
subject lines.  So I type "=" and it gives me the first 23 subjects
(I'm on a VT-100), let's say numbered from 50001 to 50023.
Nothing interesting, so I press space for the next 23, and so on.
Then, aha, a juicy title, say at 50234, and (this is important)
I want to read it *now*.  So I read it.  Then what ???

If I type "=" I'm back reading the earlier subject lines.  If I did
(for example) 50001-50023j after the first screen of subjects that
works but it's an ugly solution (it also starts up 50024).

Hoping there's a better way.  Also hoping I'm not going to bounce
the heel of my hand of my forehead in a vertical direction and
moan "of course, why didn't I think of that ... "

lum@armadillo.cis.ohio-state.edu (Lum Johnson) (08/11/89)

In article <3136@yunexus.UUCP> tony@yunexus.UUCP (Tony Wallis) writes:
>I'm in rn, and it says
>      "*** 666 unread articles in alt.sox -- read now? [ynq]"
>and let's say I'm going to pick out maybe 10 of those to read from
>the subject lines.  So I type "=" and it gives me the first 23
>subjects (I'm on a VT-100), let's say numbered from 50001 to 50023.
>Nothing interesting, so I press space for the next 23, and so on.
>Then, aha, a juicy title, say at 50234, and (this is important) I
>want to read it *now*.  So I read it.  Then what ???
>
>If I type "=" I'm back reading the earlier subject lines.  If I did
>(for example) 50001-50023j after the first screen of subjects that
>works but it's an ugly solution (it also starts up 50024).

There undoubtedly is a better way, but I am not aware of it.  However,
I will tell you what I do.  If I'm wading through hundreds of
articles, I use `=', page through the entire `=' display to the end,
noting all the articles I want to read, and finish up with:

	a1,a2,a3,...anM			;; mark them to return
	cy				;; catch up (yes)

Now I can go through the group again with only the interesting
articles left.  (`rn' will want to do that automatically if you
haven't yet read any articles in the newsgroup and there are
"returning articles".)  This is very fast, because the catch-up
is almost instanteous - only the unmarking of the returning articles
must be done individually.

If I can't spare the time for the huge `=' display, I use:

	a1,a2,a3,...anM			;; mark some to return
	b1-bnj				;; junk the range seen

and go through as many screens of `=' as my patience will allow, and
then quit and return to the newsgroup to actually read some of the
ones marked to return.  This is much slower, because junking a range
of articles marks each one as read individually.

Has anyone else found a better way than these?

Lum
-=-
--
Lum Johnson      lum@cis.ohio-state.edu      lum@osu-20.ircc.ohio-state.edu
"You got it kid -- the large print giveth and the small print taketh away."

jack@csccat.UUCP (Jack Hudler) (08/11/89)

In article <3136@yunexus.UUCP> tony@yunexus.UUCP (Tony Wallis) writes:
>I'm in rn, and it says
>      "*** 666 unread articles in alt.sox -- read now? [ynq]"
>and let's say I'm going to pick out maybe 10 of those to read from the
>subject lines.  So I type "=" and it gives me the first 23 subjects
>(I'm on a VT-100), let's say numbered from 50001 to 50023.
>Nothing interesting, so I press space for the next 23, and so on.
>Then, aha, a juicy title, say at 50234, and (this is important)
>I want to read it *now*.  So I read it.  Then what ???

Just type in the article number and prees return.
--
Jack 		Computer Support Corportion		Dallas,Texas
Hudler		UUCP: {texsun,texbell,attctc}!csccat!jack

shadow@pawl.rpi.edu (Deven T. Corzine) (08/11/89)

On 10 Aug 89 21:27:09 GMT,
lum@armadillo.cis.ohio-state.edu (Lum Johnson) said:

Lum> Has anyone else found a better way than these?

Yeah...  Use GNUS under GNU Emacs.  It retrieves all the headers of
unread articles in a newsgroup when you enter it, organizes them into
one-line summaries of article number, number of lines, author and
subject, and puts them in a separate window/buffer, [*Subject*] and
you can jump around as you please to read articles, or you can sort
the subjects by author, posting date, article number or subject.
Also, GNUS never barfs "Skipping unavailable article..." at you like
rn does if it hits expired or cancelled articles...

Deven

--
Deven T. Corzine        Internet:  deven@rpi.edu, shadow@pawl.rpi.edu
Snail:  2214 12th Street, Troy, NY 12180       Phone:  (518) 271-0750

edhew@xenitec.uucp (Ed Hew) (08/13/89)

In article <3136@yunexus.UUCP> tony@yunexus.UUCP (Tony Wallis) writes:
>I'm in rn, and it says
>      "*** 666 unread articles in alt.sox -- read now? [ynq]"
>and let's say I'm going to pick out maybe 10 of those to read from the
>subject lines.  So I type "=" and it gives me the first 23 subjects
>(I'm on a VT-100), let's say numbered from 50001 to 50023.
>Nothing interesting, so I press space for the next 23, and so on.
>Then, aha, a juicy title, say at 50234, and (this is important)
>I want to read it *now*.
>
>Hoping there's a better way.  Also hoping I'm not going to bounce
>the heel of my hand of my forehead in a vertical direction and
>moan "of course, why didn't I think of that ... "

I always simply type in the number of the article when I first find
out what that number is (based on where you suggest you are in 'rn').
You are then reading it.

This may vary depending on the vaguaries your sysadmin has tossed into
rn when compiling it, so if you get different results, you may want
to query him/her.

  Ed. A. Hew       Authorized Technical Trainer        Xeni/Con Corporation
  work:  edhew@xenicon.uucp	 -or-	 ..!{uunet!}utai!lsuc!xenicon!edhew
->home:	 edhew@egvideo.uucp	 -or-	   ..!{uunet!}watmath!egvideo!edhew
->home:	 changing to:  edhew@xenitec.uucp     [but be patient for new maps]
  # I haven't lost my mind, it's backed up on floppy around here somewhere!

pmorriso@gara.une.oz (Perry Morrison MATH) (08/15/89)

In article <SHADOW.89Aug11074607@pawl.rpi.edu> shadow@pawl.rpi.edu (Deven T. Corzine) writes:

>On 10 Aug 89 21:27:09 GMT,
>lum@armadillo.cis.ohio-state.edu (Lum Johnson) said:
>
>Lum> Has anyone else found a better way than these?
>
>Yeah...  Use GNUS under GNU Emacs.
	As a non-emacs man I use something simpler. Much of the bulk of a
newsgroup can be attributed to responses to earlier mailings. I tend to
junk these, thereby reducing the length of the newsgroup so that later use
of '=' is manageable. i.e. I type /string/h:j to remove postings with a
common header.
	Not sophisticated, but it can help.

usenet@statware.UUCP (Usenet News) (08/17/89)

In article <3136@yunexus.UUCP> tony@yunexus.UUCP (Tony Wallis) writes:
>I'm in rn, and it says
>      "*** 666 unread articles in alt.sox -- read now? [ynq]"
>and let's say I'm going to pick out maybe 10 of those to read from the
>subject lines.  So I type "=" and it gives me the first 23 subjects

There was a patch to rn posted to comp.sources.misc (I think that
is the right group) which will start you at one greater than the
article you selected with the next use of "=".  If you cannot find
it, I'll see if I still have it around.  This was several months
ago that it came through, but an archive site should have it yet.

--
Mathieu Federspiel                  mcf%statware.uucp@cs.orst.edu
Statware                            {hp-pcd,tektronix}!orstcs!statware!mcf

mitchell@chance.uucp (George Mitchell) (08/21/89)

How about ".-$ ="?
           ^^^^^    This should resume listing remaining articles.
Unfortunately, this will not help if you have done a subject search (^N).

/s/ George          703/883-6029              GB Mitchell, MS Z676
Easiest: gmitchel@mitre.org                   MITRE, 7525 Colshire Drive
Best:    mitchell@community-chest.mitre.org   McLean, VA 22102