[news.newusers.questions] Posting of e-mail by the mail recipient

tse@tornado.Berkeley.EDU (Gary Tse) (08/21/89)

What is net.policy on the posting of e-mail (without the permission
of the sender of mail)?

Please realize that I am not interested in the legal answer.  Rather,
I'd like to discover what netiquette says about the question.

--
    Gary, tse@ocf.berkeley.edu  or  ..!ucbvax!ocf!tse

charlie@mica.stat.washington.edu (Charlie Geyer) (08/21/89)

In article <1989Aug20.191224.10946@agate.berkeley.edu>
tse@tornado.Berkeley.EDU (Gary Tse) writes:

> What is net.policy on the posting of e-mail (without the permission
> of the sender of mail)?
>
> Please realize that I am not interested in the legal answer.  Rather,
> I'd like to discover what netiquette says about the question.

Very simple.  Don't do it without permission of the sender.  If you do
it you will most likely get flamed, and no one will defend you.

Almost everyone seems to agree that posting mail without permission is
wrong -- one of the few things netters do agree about.

tneff@bfmny0.UUCP (Tom Neff) (08/21/89)

There will be plenty of followups to that one I suppose.  Still --

"Rebroadcasting" private netmail in public articles without the
author's permission is considered maximally rude, especially in
the context of a gripe or flame war, but to some extent even in
"innocent" circumstances.

Something like the Net cannot exist without respect for the Golden
Rule, which applies in spades to this situation.  When it comes
time for YOU to mail something you would prefer be kept private,
how would you like to see it posted far and wide four days later?

In general mail blabbers find themselves ostracized.  Get permission
first, even for friendly reposts.
--
"We walked on the moon --	((	Tom Neff
	you be polite"		 )) 	tneff@bfmny0.UU.NET

logajan@ns.network.com (John Logajan) (08/22/89)

tse@tornado.Berkeley.EDU (Gary Tse) writes:
> Please realize that I am not interested in the legal answer.  Rather,
> I'd like to discover what netiquette says about the question.

Netiquette is like the bible, everyone quotes it to their own purpose.

Best to simply do what you perceive to be the right thing, as in the
new movie title.

--
- John M. Logajan @ Network Systems; 7600 Boone Ave; Brooklyn Park, MN 55428  -
- logajan@ns.network.com / ...rutgers!umn-cs!ns!logajan / john@logajan.mn.org -