[news.newusers.questions] Killing a screenful?

William December Starr (08/17/89)

I've RTFMed, and I don't think that what I'm looking for is in there.
Sometimes after I hit the spacebar for "More," I discover that I don't
really want more.  Unfortunately, I still have to sit there and wait
while a full screenful of text is printed on my screen.  Seeing as I'm
usually logged in at 1200 bd, that takes, um, figure an average
linelength of 70 characters, multiply by 23 lines and divide by 120
characters/second = about thirteen seconds = a subjective eternity.

Is there any command or keystroke combination I can use to abort the
filling up of my screen with stuff I don't want (other than being
clever enough to derive an article's interest to me from its subject
line, I mean)?
--
William December Starr, Poly Sci major & Future Lawyer of America (hah!)
Best email address: "wdstarr%charon.local@charon.mit.edu"

William December Starr (08/17/89)

David Datta <datta@VACS.UWP.WISC.EDU> e-mailed me the solution:

>You can hit [control] C during the printing of the text (in 'rn') I
>also needed the exact same thing as I usually do the same thing.

And it works -- be aware, though, ^C kills the printing of the
_entire_ article-in-progress, not just the printing of the current
screenful.  And, incidentally, this _isn't_ in TFM.
--

rodney@taac.ipl.rpi.edu (Rodney Peck II) (08/18/89)

WDS> David Datta <datta@VACS.UWP.WISC.EDU> e-mailed me the solution:
>You can hit [control] C during the printing of the text (in 'rn') I
>also needed the exact same thing as I usually do the same thing.
WDS> And it works -- be aware, though, ^C kills the printing of the
WDS> _entire_ article-in-progress, not just the printing of the current
WDS> screenful.  And, incidentally, this _isn't_ in TFM.

no, that is part of Unix which has it's own manuals.  You can stop
just about anything with control c.
--
Rodney

morris@jade.jpl.nasa.gov (Mike Morris) (08/19/89)

(Rodney Peck II) writes:
>WDS> David Datta <datta@VACS.UWP.WISC.EDU> e-mailed me the solution:
>>You can hit [control] C during the printing of the text (in 'rn') I
>>also needed the exact same thing as I usually do the same thing.
>WDS> And it works -- be aware, though, ^C kills the printing of the
>WDS> _entire_ article-in-progress, not just the printing of the current
>WDS> screenful.  And, incidentally, this _isn't_ in TFM.
>
>no, that is part of Unix which has it's own manuals.  You can stop
>just about anything with control c.

Including "rn"!  Be careful you don't hit multiple ^Cs - you can kill
rn real easy, and (depending on how your system is set up, you might find
that...) the error trapping takes over and restores your .newsrc,
and you'll have to re-read everything...

Mike Morris
UUCP: Morris@Jade.JPL.NASA.gov
#Include quote.cute.standard   | The opinions above probably do not even come
cat flames.all > /dev/null     | close to those of my employer(s), if any.

frank@zen.co.uk (Frank Wales) (08/21/89)

In article <RODNEY.89Aug17222424@taac.ipl.rpi.edu> rodney@taac.ipl.rpi.edu (Rodney Peck II) writes:
>WDS> David Datta <datta@VACS.UWP.WISC.EDU> e-mailed me the solution:
>>You can hit [control] C during the printing of the text (in 'rn') I
>>also needed the exact same thing as I usually do the same thing.
>WDS> And it works -- be aware, though, ^C kills the printing of the
>WDS> _entire_ article-in-progress, not just the printing of the current
>WDS> screenful.  And, incidentally, this _isn't_ in TFM.
>
>no, that is part of Unix which has it's own manuals.  You can stop
>just about anything with control c.

To be more precise, your interrupt character does this; on many Unix
systems, it is ctrl-c, on others it is del, and it could be almost
anything.  Look in the manual on stty(1) for more info on how to
find out what it is, and how to change it (if you want to).
--
Frank Wales, Systems Manager,        [frank@zen.co.uk<->mcvax!zen.co.uk!frank]
Zengrange Ltd., Greenfield Rd., Leeds, ENGLAND, LS9 8DB. (+44) 532 489048 x217

jack@csccat.UUCP (Jack Hudler) (08/23/89)

In article <RODNEY.89Aug17222424@taac.ipl.rpi.edu> rodney@taac.ipl.rpi.edu (Rodney Peck II) writes:

>no, that is part of Unix which has it's own manuals.  You can stop
>just about anything with control c.

The Interrupt char for most people is set to a Ctrl-C. The setting can be
determined from running stty. Some people use the DEL key and some Ctrl-X.
This key when pressed sends a SIGINT to the process, if it's not handled
properly then the process (in this case rn) will not behave as expected.
You can for instance on some machines, interrupt out of vi, vi will still
be running and so will rn, and they will both have the keyboard.

Output of stty:
speed 38400 baud; evenp hupcl
intr = ^C; erase = ^H; kill = ^U; swtch = ^@;
^^^^
--
Jack 		Computer Support Corportion		Dallas,Texas
Hudler		UUCP: {texsun,texbell,attctc}!csccat!jack

wisner@mica.Berkeley.EDU (Bill Wisner) (08/24/89)

>Output of stty:
>speed 38400 baud; evenp hupcl
>intr = ^C; erase = ^H; kill = ^U; swtch = ^@;

On a BSD system, make that "stty everything".

[anableps.berkeley.edu] 74 % stty everything
speed 1200 baud, 0 rows, 0 columns
erase  kill   werase rprnt  flush  lnext  susp   intr   quit   stop   eof
^?     ^U     ^W     ^R     ^O     ^V     ^Z/^Y  ^C     ^\     ^S/^Q  ^D
                                                 ^^^^