[news.newusers.questions] Newsreader problem

chguest@pioneer.arc.nasa.gov (Charles J. Guest) (08/02/89)

I tried to run rn on our system and I got a message about the command
not found.  What's going on here?

stacy@ccnysci.UUCP (Stacy Weaver) (08/16/89)

In article <4611@eos.UUCP>, chguest@pioneer.arc.nasa.gov (Charles J. Guest) writes:

> I tried to run rn on our system and I got a message about the command
> not found.  What's going on here?

	have you tried typing news at the prompt?

epsilon@wet.UUCP (Eric P. Scott) (08/18/89)

In article <2661@ccnysci.UUCP> stacy@ccnysci.UUCP (Stacy Weaver) writes:
>[quote of a forged message]
>
>	have you tried typing news at the prompt?

[ This description is for System V; other variants are similar ]
The UNIX "news" program (and its associated directory, /usr/news)
has absolutely nothing to do with usenet.  "news" can be used as
an extension of the /etc/motd (message of the day) file; while
motd is displayed each time you log in, news topics are only
displayed once.  The zero-length file $HOME/.news_time maintains
the date and time of the last message read.  A system
administrator will typically put a  news -n  (display names) or
news -s  (display count of unread news items) in a shell profile.
news  with no arguments displays all items you haven't read.
BSD has a similar "bboard" style program called msgs.

Network News is what you're reading now.  The software package is
generically called netnews, and the machines that exchange
Network News are known collectively as usenet.  netnews is not an
AT&T product, and not an official part of UNIX (although often
distributed with UNIX as "contributed software.")  Netnews
software is also available for non-UNIX systems as well--don't
assume that what you read here originates on a UNIX system or
that other readers are in UNIX environments!  Also, the hardest
thing to explain to the stubborn: usenet is not uucp, and uucp is
not usenet.  Each can exist quite happily in the absence of the
other.  People do not have "usenet addresses"--they have
addresses on uucp, Internet, etc.  You cannot mail to someone
through usenet.  If you reply to a usenet article, your reply
travels through conventional electronic mail.  If you follow up
to a usenet article, your followup travels through usenet.  It's
not addressed to anyone in particular--it goes to one or more
newsgroups.
					-=EPS=-

edhew@xenitec.uucp (Ed Hew) (08/20/89)

In article <2661@ccnysci.UUCP> stacy@ccnysci.UUCP (Stacy Weaver) writes:
>In article <4611@eos.UUCP>, chguest@pioneer.arc.nasa.gov (Charles J. Guest) writes:
>> I tried to run rn on our system and I got a message about the command
>> not found.  What's going on here?
>
>	have you tried typing news at the prompt?

This suggest that the original poster either:
	1/	doesn't have a path to rn, hence can't find it.
	2/	has a sysadmin who changed the name

(it's not lack of execute perms, as the stderr explicitly states "not found")

In either case, contacting the sysadmin at that site is probably the most
expedient solution.

[general comment to all new users:]

Almost all sites are different, especially where the site is managed
by a "creative" sysadmin.  :-)  What will often happen is that a sysadmin
will hack a nice little chunk of code to wrap utilities for the user,
install additional non-distribution packages (there are *thousands* of
very good sources available on the 'NET), or simply mv a command to avoid
a conflict with something else he/she may have installed on that site.

If things don't work the way you expect them to ("well it works right
everywhere else, but here it doesn't"), then ask the person in charge
of the system.  They can usually tell you what the difference is.
Occasionally, you'll even be doing them a favour, by telling them something
is suddenly broken, thereby giving them a chance to fix it.  It happens.

	  don't then it's time to ask here.

  Ed. A. Hew       Authorized Technical Trainer        Xeni/Con Corporation
  work:  edhew@xenicon.uucp	 -or-	 ..!{uunet!}utai!lsuc!xenicon!edhew
->home:	 edhew@egvideo.uucp	 -or-	   ..!{uunet!}watmath!egvideo!edhew
->home:	 changing to:  edhew@xenitec.uucp     [but be patient for new maps]

gints@NCoast.ORG (Steve Juhasz) (08/24/89)

In article <4611@eos.UUCP>, chguest@pioneer.arc.nasa.gov (Charles J. Guest) writes:

> I tried to run rn on our system and I got a message about the command
> not found.  What's going on here?

If you running rn under a UNIX operating system (Which most likely you are),
then you must check the directory that the rn command is found in. For
instance, on my system the rn command is found in a directory: /usr/local/bin,
and can not be accessed from my home directory. The way to get around this is
to use the SET PATH command (preferably set up in a .login file so you don't
have to type the command every time you log on). Find out about this, and your
problems should be solved.

					-Steve

Steve Juhasz
gints@NCoast.ORG