[news.newusers.questions] commercial posting on USENET

ppd491@leah.Albany.Edu (Peter P. Donohue @ nowhere) (08/24/89)

  Comments constantly appear about the ethicality/legality of posting
commercial messages on Usenet, so I think it is time to clear up whether
it is allowed or not. Here is a quote from "Rules for posting to Usenet"
in NEWS.ANNOUNCE.NEWUSERS.

"Announcement of professional products or services on Usenet is allowed;
however, since someone else is paying the phone bills for this, it is
important that it be of overall benefit to Usenet.  Post to the
appropriate newsgroup -- comp.newprod -- never to a general purpose
newsgroup such as "misc.misc".  Clearly mark your article as a product
announcement in the subject.  Never repeat these -- one article per
product at the most; preferably group everything into one article.
Advertising hype is especially frowned upon -- stick to technical
facts.  Obnoxious or inappropriate announcements or articles violating
this policy will generally be rejected.  This policy is, of course,
subject to change if it becomes a problem."

  I was unable to find any other mention of the right or wrong of
commercial messages, so this is all we have to go by. IMHO, it appears
that most commercial posting would be "frowned upon" but not denied.
  I would be interested in hearing about the rules of posting, if they
are defined better anywheres else.

  Please post followups to NEWS.NEWUSERS.QUESTIONS. This question came
up on MISC.FORSALE, but that is not the appropriate place to have a
discussion on it. I do think this is important enough that it should be
bounced around on the net, so post your ideas (as opposed to filling up
my mailer).
--
Peter P. Donohue
ppd491@albny1vx.bitnet               .  "Education is a journey,

epsilon@wet.UUCP (Eric P. Scott) (08/25/89)

See the description of "biz" in news.announce.newusers/
Alternative Newsgroup Hierarchies.

					-=EPS=-

spector@sumax.UUCP (Mitchell Spector) (08/25/89)

In article <1980@leah.Albany.Edu> ppd491@leah.Albany.Edu (Peter P. Donohue @ nowhere) writes:

>  Comments constantly appear about the ethicality/legality of posting
>commercial messages on Usenet, so I think it is time to clear up whether
>it is allowed or not....

> [Quote from news.announce.newusers article omitted.]

>  I was unable to find any other mention of the right or wrong of
>commercial messages, so this is all we have to go by. IMHO, it appears
>that most commercial posting would be "frowned upon" but not denied.
>  I would be interested in hearing about the rules of posting, if they
>are defined better anywheres else.

   If you want rules, you're in the wrong place.  Usenet has no rules,
just socially-based guidelines which are continually evolving as the
net grows.  There is no overall administrative structure, and there's
nobody authorized to impose or enforce rules.  (Of course, most sites
have a local system administrator with authority, but there is no
net-wide authority.)

   There are guidelines for posting.  All stem from just plain common-sense,
combined with experience on the net.  Some of these have been written down
after the fact, to make it easier for new people to fit into net society.

   There are no penalties for violations of guidelines except social ones,
including ostracism.  (In an extreme case, this ostracism could take the
form of your news feed deciding it doesn't want to have anything to do
with you any more, and you'd be cut off from the net.  Of course, there
may be local policies at your site, with locally determined penalties.)
People who are sufficiently obnoxious find themselves the recipients of
e-mail and the subjects of follow-ups; the tone of these may range from
friendly pointers to merciless flames.  After a while, people may start
to ignore you or to put you in their kill files.

   None of this should seem strange.  It's just like the rule that you
don't start making funny faces in the middle of a class or a business
meeting.  It isn't illegal to do that, but if you do it often enough,
it will cause people not to take you seriously, to ignore you, and
possibly to ostracize you completely.

   So don't ask what the rules are.  Ask what people find acceptable, what
they find unacceptable, and why.

--
Mitchell Spector
Dept. of Computer Science and Software Engineering