[news.newusers.questions] Perhaps we can end the discussion of: Signature files

richard@gryphon.COM (Richard Sexton) (08/25/89)

Tom's just no fun.

In article <14585@bfmny0.UUCP> tneff@bfmny0.UU.NET (Tom Neff) writes:
>Buster unwisely saying "Let the flames begin" doesn't mean mischevious
>veterans are right to take him up on it.

Well, let's all hope Buster learned his lesson. (<-- blatently dripping sarcasm)

>Rankles means irritates, and this is a school (or "scholl" - is it time
>to start the spelling flame explanation thread yet? :-) ) on its own
>terms, not "mine" or "humorless" or any of that stuff.

(gratuitous explanation. I knew what he meant, but was just foolin
around)

>New folks reading this -- Richard gets up on the wrong side now and then,
>but the *convention* is to be polite, as you would be in person.  When
>you meet net.curmudgeons -- and you will -- the best strategy is to be
>even MORE polite.  They reciprocate or lose interest fast.

New folks reading this. Richard never gets up on the wrong side. I have
one side of the bed, and my wife has the other. She won't let me get
up on her side of the bed (shameless double entendre), so I end up
getting up on my side of the bed (more of same). More to the point
I am actually always in a good mood.

So why do I write things like the article that pissed (gratuitous
obscenity) off so many people ?

I am an asshole (the easy way out).

I find it terribly amusing, moreover, so do a great many intelligent
people I repect. It's scary. (the honest part).

But enough of me, what about you ? You come here often ? What
do you do ? What's your sign?  (gratuitous nonsense)

Wait. (context switch)

Allow me to offer a potential conclusion viz. signature files (technical
content). Some people point out, and correctly so, that you don't
really need them. All the information you need IS in the header. You
may not, however, have the wherewithall to extract that information.

So the convention of a short, concise .signature file exists. Nobody
will get frazzled  if you use a 1 or 2 line signature file that has
your email address.

What will rankle, is if you make it excesivly large (email
addresses are generally less than 32 characters - there is no
excuse for 6 lines of redundent address with 2 lines of hyphens
acting as a border), excessivly stupid (those damn ascii pictures
of bill the cat have to go. The same goes for little and not so little
ascii pictures of landscapes, spaceships, arrows, and space aliens),
or excessivly worthless (The net, by and large, does not want  or
need your Postal address. If somebody wants it they'll send you a note
asking you for it.

People often put quotes or whatever in their .signature files. This
is to relieve the monotony of an otherwise very dry stream of verbage.

If you do use a quote, remember that it, like a childs diaper, needs
to be changed often. They stink otherwise.

Since some of you in the back of the class have fallen
asleep, I suggest we terninate this lecture. And please don't
come to class stoned again.

--
   Nsukka Misaje Akure Jos Plateau Port Harcourt Emyok Makurdi Lafia P82
richard@gryphon.COM  decwrl!gryphon!richard   gryphon!richard@elroy.jpl.NASA.GOV