[news.newusers.questions] More on kill files for rn.

poole@ut-emx.UUCP (Steve Poole) (08/18/89)

Several people have asked about rn kill files of the form

/string/m

and

/string/M

They want some method of automatically marking articles with subjects
they are interested in.  The problem with the above kill file entries
is that they reach back and look through the already read articles.
Several weeks ago I posted an article to this newsgroup saying that
/string/M would not reach back.  lane@cs.rochester.edu (Lane A.
Hemachandra) correctly pointed out that it does.

At first, I couldn't figure out what was going on.  I thought
I had been using /string/M.  But I haven't!  I've been using
the following entry:

/string/=:M

The meaning of this entry is as follows.  Rn searches for
Subject lines containing string.  It then executes the
specified commands on those articles.  You can have more than one
command if you separate them with a colon.  So I have two
commands:  = and M .  The = causes rn to print the Subject
line of the article.  The M marks it for later return.  I did
this so that I could see the marked article titles as they
were being marked, just to follow what rn was doing.

Well, serendipity!  Using this construct prevents rn from
reaching back to look at already read articles.  I don't know why.

So here are my kill files.

My kill file for comp.sources.misc is looking for an article
with the word ephem in it.

THRU 861
/ephem/=:M

My kill file for rec.arts.movies junks all replies when I
enter that newsgroup.  It is a high volume newsgroup with a
lot of replies.  I like to look at original articles first.
If I find an article for which I want to look at replies, I
simply search forward through read articles using the
construct   /string/r   .  I use the string "Subject: re:"
instead of the string "re:" to prevent junking articles with
Subject lines of the form "New stuff (was Re: Old stuff)".
By the way, the string search ignores case.  So you can search
for "Re:" or "re:", it doesn't matter.

THRU 21657
/Subject: re:/=:j

My kill file for rec.humor.funny junks all articles with the
words sick or gross on the keywords line.  Now that I look at
it, I think /sick/h:=:j and /gross/h:=:j would work just as
well.  Those commands would junk articles with the words sick
or gross anywhere in the header, not just on the keywords
line.  But that is probably OK.

THRU 1263
/keywords.*sick/h:=:j
/keywords.*gross/h:=:j

--
Steve Poole
ARPA: poole@emx.utexas.edu

mmeyer@m2.csc.ti.com (Mark Meyer) (08/25/89)

In article <17246@ut-emx.UUCP> poole@ut-emx.UUCP (Steve Poole) writes:

>/string/=:M
>
>Well, serendipity!  Using this construct prevents rn from
>reaching back to look at already read articles.  I don't know why.

	I don't know why either, but I just tried it (with 'm' instead
of 'M') in my KILL files for rn.  It really works!  This is exactly
what I've been seeking (off and on) for several months.  Thanks for
the tip!

>Steve Poole
>ARPA: poole@emx.utexas.edu
>UUCP: {ames,gatech,harvard,rutgers,utah-cs}!cs.utexas.edu!ut-emx!poole

--
Mark Meyer          USENET: {ut-sally!im4u,convex!smu,sun!texsun}!ti-csl!mmeyer
Texas Instruments, Inc.                                   CSNET : mmeyer@TI-CSL